PDA

View Full Version : KQo and EP

04-04-2002, 10:22 PM
I usually play KQ out of early position. I wouldn't ever raise here with it,however just playing here is my question. KQ has been about a break-even venture over-all. Here are some questions I have about this hand:

1. Would I be losing/gaining much by never playing KQ UTG?

2. Would I be losing much to never play KQ from EP at all?

3. Would I be correct to play it out of EP and almost always folding my 1 bet to a raise?

This hand just seems to be one of those that will rarely pull down a phat pot from EP, but will certainly cost plenty if you catch a bit of the flop and lose. Also, calling the blinds and someone raising behind is a bad spot to be in at times with this hand. I understand that calling 2 bets cold with KQo is almost alway incorrect, but what if you have a bet invested already?

Thank you in advance.

Speedy

04-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Speedy: I think hands like this are very 'game specific.' Looking at two extremes, if i am dealt k-q in early position in tight agressive game, i have a much greater tendancy to fold. In loose passive games, it is very playable from e.p. It turns into a raising hand from ep in tight and passive games. I'll leave it to the more exprienced posters to comment on your ev questions but this might give you some basic thoughts.

04-06-2002, 03:48 PM
1. Would I be losing/gaining much by never playing KQ UTG?

In all but tough games KQ should be profitable. Will it cost in expectatiion much to fold? I won't bore you with the exact amounts (derived from both sims and documented hand data), but it is not that significant. Most of your profit will come from the first three Sklanksy hand groups (and also from later seats).

Anecdotal: I personally, several years ago now, played strictly AA, KK, QQ, JJ, TT, AK, and AQ in the first two seats. Yes, I even folded 99. I did very well overall, inspite the limited hand range.

2. Would I be losing much to never play KQ from EP at all?

This is pretty much the same question as above, but as the seats near the button the "error" of folding increases.

3. Would I be correct to play it out of EP and almost always folding my 1 bet to a raise?

This would almost always be incorrect to fold.

Lastly, learn how to play the KQ, as it is a frustrating hand at times. Personally, irrationally, I despise KQ, but let not your heart rule your head.

Regards

04-10-2002, 01:54 PM
I love KQo in EP (not BB or SB). I find overall it is a winner - not a big winner but significant.

There are times when I don't play this, but they are rare, as I play exclusively on PP LL where the games are mostly loose. A tight-aggressive game where my EP raises are often re-raised with AQ, AK, JJ, QQ, TT, I fold.

I find it a big winner because it is hidden. It's hidden only if I raise with it. A raise in EP represents a big pair or an AK. So, when I bet out and get raised, I know I'm behind and adjust. When I bet out and get called I know I'm ahead. Very few times I get caught with an AK, AQ calling stattion that beats me.

And, it's a great hand with a str8t draw. So many opportunities. And with your raise in EP, it's real easy to put others on cards.

The other important thing this raise does in EP is that it disguises my AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ raises in EP. Players see you raise with KQ in EP, they remember that. Next time they are more likely to chase my AA, or big hit becuase they incorrectly put me on KQ. Most players only remember "odd" things not that I mostly raise with AA, KK, AK from EP. So, they will give higher probability to KQ. This is good for me. This doesn't show up on my stats, but does make my other EP wins higher.

In the end, I find this hand is a winner and helps me win more in other pots. But I always try to remember, players usually respect an EP raise -- and I will walk away from losers.