PDA

View Full Version : Cap this flop w/ AA?

PokerBob
03-24-2004, 10:37 AM
Should I have backed off here?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (7 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11 BB, between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB (11 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows As Ac (one pair, aces).
BB shows 3s Td (two pair, tens and threes).
Outcome: BB wins 11 BB. </font>

Daggs911
03-24-2004, 11:29 AM
I haven't read the results yet, but the fact that you posted this hand probably means that you were behind.

That said, I think your play was fine. I probably would have played it the same way. You definitely picked the right time to back off.

With AA, you simply cannot assume that you are behind a preflop caller on a T73 board. In fact, if BB is a typical 1-2 party donator, it may be a better play to only call the his flop raise with the intention of check-raising a turn that isn't a flush card or a T.

When you are capped on the flop, you have to assume that you are either behind, or up against a big draw. 2 big bets to win 11 if you call down. I think you'll win this hand at a 1/2 table more often than 1 in 5.5 times. I think it's an easy call down.

Just my two cents.

sthief09
03-24-2004, 11:31 AM
Bet the turn, and slow down if/when raised. Flop raises don't scare me too much.