PDA

View Full Version : 25-50 QQ hand

Steve Giufre
03-24-2004, 08:17 AM
UTG limps, MP limps, button limps, SB completes, I raise from BB with red queens.

Flop:10 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, UTG, normally solid but now steaming raises. MP folds, loose and fairly aggresive button calls. SB folds and I call.

Turn 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, UTG bets, button pauses, and then comes out like he is going to raise. I tell him to stop pretending he has a nine and he just calls. I call as well.

River:6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, UTG bets. He only has one big bet left now. SB thinks for a bit and raises. What's your move?

risen
03-24-2004, 01:13 PM
I'm going to call this one, quite unhappily. If you were beat, you were beat on the flop and that's just the way poker goes, I intend on seeing a Ten with a decent kicker out of one opponent and a pair between 77 and QQ out of the other maybe even a way too agressive lone Ace or busted flush draw. But if someone flopped a set and rivered a Full House or pulled 87 out of their ass, what can you do?

Thythe
03-24-2004, 01:40 PM
I agree, I would call too. One of them definitely has a 10, most likely the original bettor. I feel like the other player has a pocket pair, but knowing the craziness of online poker, could have A9s or some crazy holding like that. A straight is very unlikely so you're only beat by a pocket pair higher than yours, which would have been raised preflop, or a crazy 9.

Rick Nebiolo
03-24-2004, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UTG limps, MP limps, button limps, SB completes, I raise from BB with red queens.

Flop:10 /images/graemlins/club.gif9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif9 /images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet, UTG, normally solid but now steaming raises. MP folds, loose and fairly aggresive button calls. SB folds and I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

the steamer usually won't have much but who knows in modern poker. it is close between reraising and calling here.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

I check, UTG bets, button pauses, and then comes out like he is going to raise. I tell him to stop pretending he has a nine and he just calls. I call as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

i keep my mouth shut when i'm in a hand but that's just my style. i'd often bet the turn here. if utg raises and the button calls you can put the button on a flush draw and perhaps call or reraise (based on how likely you think the UTG steamer has you beat). or you can safely fold to a raise and reraise.

given you checked it's an easy call but a checkraise should be considered. everything reasonable should be considered /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
River:6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I check, UTG bets. He only has one big bet left now. SB thinks for a bit and raises. What's your move?

[/ QUOTE ]

by SB i assume you meant button. this is a tough one. the button knows it is only going to cost him one more big bet after his raise (he knows you aren't reraising) and may have decided that utg is on some sort of small flush or straight draw and wants to knock you off a better hand to win with a ten or ace high.

you can't get jammed so i'd call and expect to win my fair share here. in other words, you hate the river action but by calling 2 big bets you have a decent shot at winning 14 big bets. certainly your chances are better than 12.5% that you have the best hand.

~ rick

Nightwish
03-24-2004, 04:19 PM
Yikes! You found yourself in a horrible situation faced with a very difficult decision, and all of it stems from the fact that you played this hand too passively. I think the best action on the flop is to 3-bet this. If UTG caps, then just go into call down mode. I thought when you checked the turn, you were going to check-raise! That would have been fine too. But I think going into call down mode after just one raise is too passive.

As it stands, I think it's a very close call between folding and calling, with calling being slightly preferrable. The button could have a busted club draw or something like AT. In fact, a busted A high club draw is not too unlikely.

nykenny
03-24-2004, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
certainly your chances are better than 12.5% that you have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
certainly

Gabe
03-24-2004, 05:05 PM
You played flop and/or turn more passively than I would have. I Doubt UTG has you beat, because he seems to be trying to narrow the field. You may have to call two bets on the river now, because you look weak and button might be making some move on the tilter. I don't know you say he's loose and fairly aggresive, how creative is he?

Dynasty
03-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Why are you calling, and calling, and thinking about calling two more bets on the river? Why aren't you betting, and raising, and making your opponents decide whether they want to call on the river?

Why are you trying amateurish ploys like telling the Button to stop prentending to have a 9? Why do you want him to stop prentending anything? Why did you not want him to raise and give you a chance to 3-bet?

Why did you ask about your play on the river when your play on the flop and turn were much more dubious?

Steve Giufre
03-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Dynasty,

I certainly could have 3 bet the flop. I didn't because it was clear UTG was trying to get all his chips in. I chose let him be the one to lead at the turn, so if the button makes it 100 back to me, I can lay down if choose to without putting any bets in. That being said I probably shuold have lead out, since UTG was trying to get all in he may have raised, so if the button was on a draw I could have charged him two bets, and probably safely folded to a three bet from him.

Speaking of the turn, why would I be looking to three bet a button raise? I raised out of the BB preflop. If he raises the turn, and I three bet, there is a very good chance he is going to lay down a 10, and probably 4 bet me with a nine. Doesnt look good to me.

As far as my the comment I made on the turn, I was just having some fun with him, not really fishing for information.

James282
03-24-2004, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can lay down if choose to without putting any bets in

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
probably safely folded to a three bet from him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are you looking for so many reasons to fold?

If he got this far with a 9, a 6, or 78, and hasn't gotten any money into the pot, he sucks. He has some sort of crappy ten most of the time here. Maybe 88. Maybe Jacks. Maybe TT, 99, 66, T9, 98, or 78, but otherwise we're being a little weak tight here. Anyway, if he got this far with a 9 and got so little in the pot by now, then he lost money by playing the hand he did in the first place. I would probably reraise and expect to be shown 88, JJ, or a ten more than enough to make this profitable. I would not be surprised to see him making a dubious play with a busted flush, either, although it's more unlikely. I would not consider folding, but I wouldn't have been in the position to call 2 on the river in the first place. This is at least a call but I would probably jack it.
-James

Gabe
03-24-2004, 10:34 PM
He maybe happy now that the tilter can't reraise him.

Steve Giufre
03-25-2004, 01:09 AM
James,

The button isn't going to make a play with with a busted flush draw because UTG is just about all in. However it's very possible he could make this play with a 10 hoping that I would lay down an overpair.

Steve Giufre
03-25-2004, 01:16 AM
On the river I called two expecting to have the button beat, but I was a bit worried about UTG. The button flipped over K10 and my hand was good. The river call was a lot easier because of the fact that UTG only had one bet left, and the fact that he raised me on the flop made it tough for me to put him on a 9.

If i had to play it over again I probably would have led out on the turn as a few of you suggested. UTG was steaming and he likely would have raised, and could probably get a better idea of where the button was at depending on wether he chose to call or three bet.

WyattErb
03-25-2004, 03:07 AM
i would play it much more aggressive....what do u need more to raise?? you have a high overpair for heavens sake!

Josh W
03-25-2004, 04:57 AM
The more you bet, the less you have to think.

(and, the more you think here, the more you'll bet...i think:))

J

Steve Giufre
03-25-2004, 08:26 AM
Wyatt,

Pure genius buddy. Thanks for the advice.

Dynasty
03-25-2004, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of the turn, why would I be looking to three bet a button raise? I raised out of the BB preflop. If he raises the turn, and I three bet, there is a very good chance he is going to lay down a 10...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll assume you didn't consider the possibility that he held a Ten with an overcard to your pocket pair. Now that you actually know he had KT, wouldn't you want him to fold to a turn bet getting in excess of 15:1?