04-04-2002, 03:23 AM
UTG+1 open raises, i three bet, get 3 callers along with UTG. 5 to the flop

flop A 9 4 2-tone

checked around...im plannning on betting the turn

turn Aos

UTG+1 bets, i raise, bet 2 callers along with UTG

4 to the river

river blank

checked to me, i bet, only UTG+1 calls...

i take it down as UTG+1 mucks

made those frickin draws pay!!!

comments welcome

b

04-04-2002, 04:22 AM
Need more info bern....Are all the callers behind you? One would assume at least one is in the BB, but it is possible that you got 3 cold callers I guess. Also important is whether the ace is suited to the flush draw, and whether your A or K is of the relevant suit.

In general I don't like giving the freebie here on the flop, unless you had reason to believe it would get bet behind you. The pot is big enough that if someone picks up the other flush draw, or an open ender they would be justified in calling on the turn for one bet.

04-04-2002, 11:48 AM
i didnt have any of the suit...

the BB was in there, no sb

"The pot is big enough that if someone picks up the other flush draw, or an open ender they would be justified in calling on the turn for one bet."

this is why i waited til the turn. if they had the flush draw on the flop, id wait to the turn to raise...so they were calling 2 BB into them. which they were probably right in calling to the river since it was around 5-1 for their call, but it sure made em pay.

i actually charged em an extra SB for this, rather than just betting out on the flop. i dont think i wouldve got 2 bets on the turn if i bet out on the flop. it wouldve been 1sb from each on flop, then 1 bb on turn. i took a shot at 2 bb on turn. also if the flush was made possible, depending on the action, i can get away from my hand.

so id try to charge em extra on the turn if the flush didnt make it. i also had a good read that 'someone' would bet the turn once it was checked around on the flop.

b

btw...i also hate to give free cards, but i believe this gave me least risk and more reward playing it to the turn on this hand.

04-04-2002, 01:57 PM
The problem is that people who would have folded to a flop bet can easily pick up a draw on the turn. Its not the flop flush draw that you are worried about, its the backdoor draw. There aren't any straight draws out there now, but if one appears on the turn, that is simply another way to get beat.

Because of this, unless you suspected one of the two players behind you would bet the flop, I think checking is clearly wrong. I don't mind smoothcalling an early bettor with the intention of cranking the turn, but the pot is large and you simply cannot give free cards here. Its not like you have a set. And actually, I wouldn't check a set here either.

04-04-2002, 03:12 PM
the 2 players behind me, sucked. flat out. theyd call chasing a mid pair.

the concept i toyed with was on p 170-171 in HPFAP.

the 1st example has a safer board, but i applied the same principle. the 2nd example is more what i used.

with a set im definitely betting the flop, both to make the draws pay, and to pump the pot for my own draw.

also...i did make alot more chips playing it this way, than betting out on the flop. i dont always play this hand this way, but its a nice way to vary it.

b