PDA

View Full Version : 300BB . . . weeee

JudgeRW
03-24-2004, 01:29 AM
Well I finally hit my goal of 300BB. As of tonight I'm up to 305BB for the .5/1 Party game I've been playing. So now I'm officially ready to play the .5/1 game /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I started with $50 back in February, and have since taken the original $50 out (per my wifes "suggestion"). Since tracking with PT (early March) I've played 3,214 hands in 55 hours. I'm averaging 8.49BB/100 hands, and 4.95BB/hour.

Here's to the next 300BB and moving up to 1/2.

Ralph Wiggum
03-24-2004, 01:37 AM
Congrats!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It seems like you played one table at a time. Am I right on this, or do you sometimes play multiple tables? I ask, because I want to make my 300BB also, but I want to do it while I am getting better. I don't think I could be as focused on making better plays w/ multiple tables, even though I may make more money that way.

Congrats again on moving up! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bisonbison
03-24-2004, 01:52 AM
congratulations dude. Don't be disappointed if that win-rate regresses towards the mean quite a bit. 8BB\100 is probably unsustainably high, but something around 3-4BB\100 is very doable for longer periods.

TBone
03-24-2004, 02:11 AM
Congrats brutha

T

symphonic
03-24-2004, 02:29 AM
I only recently hit the same mark, and started with the same amount as you, at the same time as you /images/graemlins/smile.gif Feels great doesn't it? /images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm at about 450 BB at .5/1 now though, have had a great past couple days. I'm sure you'll hit another 300BB in no time /images/graemlins/smile.gif

symphonic
03-24-2004, 02:39 AM
Although you weren't asking me, I only play one table at a time because of my monitor/video card resolution not being high enough to run two tables comfortably. But I make plenty of money due to my table selection (although it accounts for higher variance)

siccjay
03-24-2004, 03:23 AM
congrats...i'm now up 600BB in a little less in 2 months (thanks to the 15th place finish in a NL tourney today) I think I'm gonna keep playing .50/1 until I have enough for 2/4 because Party's 1/2 games suck.

I might wait until I get my copy of HEPFAP and read the shorthanded section and play 1/2 6 handed. Anyone have any comments on that idea?

bisonbison
03-24-2004, 03:25 AM
Take it from me: Party's 1/2 games are very beatable, and the adjustments that they force in your play will make you a more capable player at all levels.

I think that skipping 1/2 is a mistake.

Zetack
03-24-2004, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I might wait until I get my copy of HEPFAP and read the shorthanded section and play 1/2 6 handed. Anyone have any comments on that idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it looks to me like the short handed section of HEPFAP is really focused primarily at heads up and three handed play more than six handed.

The short handed forum here has a lot of discusion about six handed, you might lurk there for a while.

--Zetack

sthief09
03-24-2004, 03:35 AM
congrats! look forward to seeing you at the 1/2 tables (duffman09).

that is an ungodly high win rate, so be prepared for a swing. I'm bracing for one too. hey, maybe it'll never come /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zetack
03-24-2004, 03:45 AM
Well this is a little self indulgent but let me jump in here myself:

I just had my best poker session ever!

.50/1.00 ten handed table: 228 hands, up 67.5 BB's!!! Whoo hooo!!!! I've had a few 50 BB sessions before (though not in recent memory) but nothing like this.

And the amazing thing is that the deck wasn't really hitting me in the face and the pots weren't huge and the table wasn't loose. Oh I got my share of good cards but mostly it was just almost everything seemed to hold up.

I did drag one monster pot but other than that it was an evening of things like 9-5 in the BB the flop coming 9 high and me winning the river showdown with my pair of nines no kicker. I didn't bluff much but it was like I could tell when it was going to work. Second pairs held up. Just about everything I tried seemed to be the right thing (ok I didn't win every pot I went to the river with (actually I won 10/16 showdowns) but at times it felt like it.) Sweet!

The table average was mostly between 26 and 36 percent seeing the flop and pot average sizes tended to bounce around between 4 and 6 dollars. Hard to imagine having such a great night playing tight poker on a table like that.

Anyway. An amazing night. And in light of my struggles in March incredibly welcome.

Hey, gosh...the upswings really do happen too, lol.

--Zetack

bicyclekick
03-24-2004, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Take it from me: Party's 1/2 games are very beatable, and the adjustments that they force in your play will make you a more capable player at all levels.

I think that skipping 1/2 is a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

oman, I really dont think the party 1/2 is a good step from .50/1. I honestly think the 2/4 game is far EASIER then the 1/2 game and also more similar to .5/1. Flop percentages are higher, that's for sure 34 compared to 39 (don't quote me, but people were compairing a couple days ago). I never liked the 1/2 game. So damn weak tight, and the one main skill I lack is how to really womp on a weak tight game. I do well in loose/passive, and loose/aggressive. I guess I've never really played a real tihgt aggresive game now that I think about it. I always change tables if I feel it's TAG so I don't really know. 1/2 just didn't feel right for me. I feel way more comfortable at the 3/6 game on party then the 1/2.

cold_cash
03-24-2004, 04:01 AM
Nice work. I haven't kept very good records since I started playing, and I've cashed out several times, but I also started out with $50 playing Party .50/$1. The last time I cashed out, which was a few months ago, I left myself with $50 in my account, and I've steadily built it back to where I'm thinking about leaving the .50/1 games alltogether.

I've dabbled at the $1/$2 tables, but my game selection isn't the greatest I guess. I only play one table at a time, and often times after playing 1/2 for an hour, I'll notice that I could be winning bigger pots at the .50/1 tables. I don't really have a plan for moving up in limits (I'm thinking I should make one) but I think I'll definetely play at least a fair amount at 1/2 before moving any higher. I'm not sure how much better the players are at this level, but in my limited experience they seem to be a little tighter, at least.

I also haven't bought PokerTracker yet, but I'm seriously considering it. I have the trial version and I'm planning to put 1000 hands into it and then post some stats in here so someone can tell me what the hell they mean. (I'm not too swift, and the interface on that thing looks waaaaaaay complicated.) I'll bet if a guy uses it properly it could be a great tool for improving his game, though.

(I just looked at my PT results so far, and my BB/100 hands is 3.18. Is that good? lol... I've only got about 600 hands in there from various sessions. I wanted to get 1000 in a row, but I can't get the "auto retrieve" thing to work, so that ain't happening.)

Nice job on reaching one of your goals. Keep studying and playing well.

bisonbison
03-24-2004, 04:07 AM
That's kind of my point. 1/2 requires a different skill set than the very loose .5/1 that can be very valuable.

Why not learn how to beat weak-tight players when its cheap?

sthief09
03-24-2004, 04:16 AM
IMHO, you're out of your mind. 2/4 is aggressive and if you don't have the bankroll, you'll tilt away your money because of the swings

GuyOnTilt
03-24-2004, 04:23 AM

On 2+2, shorthanded means 6-handed, but in the poker world, SH means 2-4 handed. You won't find the SH sectin of HPFAP very applicable to the 6-handed tables at 1/2. Better to learn from the SH forum here, which deals mainly in 5 and 6 handed play.

GoT

sthief09
03-24-2004, 04:37 AM
You haven't played enough hands to discern anything yet. Pay 29,400 more and we'll talk /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

and Poker Tracker is a great investment.

thirddan
03-24-2004, 04:41 AM
i agree, the 1/2 tables are definitely beatable and i haven't really noticed much difference between 1/2 and .50/1

cold_cash
03-24-2004, 04:43 AM
600 hands isnt enough?

I haven't even bought the dang thing yet, I'm just testing it out. lol

JudgeRW
03-24-2004, 11:45 AM
I played one table at a time until just this week. I've just now started trying 2 tables (on a regular basis. I tried it before and got beat up one day). For me it helped to concentrate on one table at a time, and since I was still under 300BB for the limit I was playing at, the possibility for a fast downswing just wasn't for me.

JudgeRW
03-27-2004, 01:11 PM
No sooner did I make this post then my 100BB avalanche started /images/graemlins/mad.gif

This week has been murder.

I knew it was coming at some point, and I thought I was mentally ready for when it did. Boy was I wrong.

By day four of the downswing I found myself getting very frustrated, doing a lot of chasing, starting to play some pretty weak hands pre-flop, etc. Basically tiliting pretty hard I think.

I'm going to take the weekend off, do a little reading, but mostly relax some. I knew this was going to happen. As many of you said, the results I had were unrealistic, and somewhere I knew it. But man did they feel much better than this /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sure wish the downswing would have waited and let me enjoy my 300BB for at least a day or two . . .

sfer
03-27-2004, 01:52 PM
It happens. Make sure you're in the right state of mind when you play again.

I hope the -100 BB run was at 0.5/1 and not 1/2.