PDA

View Full Version : QQ: how did I do?

BIGRED
03-23-2004, 07:35 PM
Party Poker 2/4 (10 handed)
Hero has Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif and is EP1

Hero raises, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls

Flop(6 SB): 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, BB folds, Hero raises, SB calls

Turn(5 BB): A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB bets, Hero folds

Should I have raised one more time?
My moral was really low at this point because things like this kept on happening. And in those other hands, when I called all the way, sure enough, I was beat.

Nottom
03-23-2004, 07:46 PM
I would have raised again and planned to check behind on the river.

BIGRED
03-23-2004, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have raised again and planned to check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

And fold if re-raised?

What if he calls the raise and bets out again on the river? I guess you need to call at that point.

JARID
03-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Lot 2,

What type of player is the SB? If you knew, that might help with some of your uncertainty. I think you went away a little to easy here.
Also, when your moral is low, you need to take a break. Its really tough to play winning poker when you feel that the poker gods have forsaken you.

Good Luck
~J

sthief09
03-23-2004, 08:01 PM
Here's my take. A few months ago, I heard the saying "if you never fold a winner you're not folding enough" and I kind of prided myself on making big laydowns. Unfortunately I was folding in some situations where I would've won an enormous pot. When I'd make these big laydowns I didn't consider how big the pot was, only that if I thought I was beat I'd fold. I think a lot of newer players do this also. In a pretty big pot like this just because you "think" you're beat doesn't mean you should fold. The pot is big enough that you can lose almost every time and still come out a winner.

Also, think about it. You raised pre-flop, and you raised the flop. Why would he bet into you on the turn instead of check-raising you? And why would he bet into you if he has a weak ace? You are probably beat, but there's way too much doubt here to know for sure that you are. Also consider you have about a 4% chance of winning on the river with a Q, which further pads the price you're getting.

BIGRED
03-23-2004, 08:06 PM
I had no read on him. All I remeber is that he didn't play very many hands. When I mucked the Q's I said a prayer making an offering of sacrifice to the poker god. Sometimes, when things are running really bad, I might even muck AA preflop as an offering of sacrifice. This really works. You guys ought to try it.

As I'm writing this, I am still playing at 2/4, different table, and things have sure turned around. I think the offering really appeased the poker god.

Nottom
03-23-2004, 08:22 PM
I def fold to a 3-bet.

If he bets again on the river ... well I hope he wouldn't do that.

sthief09
03-23-2004, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
All I remeber is that he didn't play very many hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

or maybe he just wasn't getting good cards.

JDErickson
03-23-2004, 10:56 PM
Last night I had KK in MP in a 3/6 hand and rased 3 callers.

Flop came Aragrag. I bet out and was raised, I 3 bet and it was capped.

Turn came a rag. I bet and was raised. I folded.

Lost to 55 and 44. Noone hit their sets or improved.

Jim

Mike Gallo
03-23-2004, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's my take. A few months ago, I heard the saying "if you never fold a winner you're not folding enough" and I kind of prided myself on making big laydowns. Unfortunately I was folding in some situations where I would've won an enormous pot. When I'd make these big laydowns I didn't consider how big the pot was, only that if I thought I was beat I'd fold. I think a lot of newer players do this also. In a pretty big pot like this just because you "think" you're beat doesn't mean you should fold. The pot is big enough that you can lose almost every time and still come out a winner.

Also, think about it. You raised pre-flop, and you raised the flop. Why would he bet into you on the turn instead of check-raising you? And why would he bet into you if he has a weak ace? You are probably beat, but there's way too much doubt here to know for sure that you are. Also consider you have about a 4% chance of winning on the river with a Q, which further pads the price you're getting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent thought process here. Your coming along nicely.

Mike Gallo
03-23-2004, 11:30 PM
I might even muck AA preflop as an offering of sacrifice. This really works. You guys ought to try it

I hope you wrote that in jest /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Nottom
03-23-2004, 11:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I might even muck AA preflop as an offering of sacrifice. This really works. You guys ought to try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This only works if your name is Tommy Angelo.

sfer
03-24-2004, 12:35 AM
I like this plan. A standard Partyer leading out doesn't smell like much of a hand on that board.

BIGRED
03-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Hehe... I was just making a joke, but on some days I sure feel like AA is going to end up costing me more money. Just a few hand before the one I posted here, I lost AA and QQ to either a straight or a flush when the flop came 1 short of someone's 5 card hand... Very fraustrating.