PDA

View Full Version : Q-high

Homer
03-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Party 2/4. Fairly straightforward SB completes, I check in BB with Q6o.

Flop - AKJr

Check, check.

Turn - K, full rainbow

Check, check.

River - A

SB bets, I...

I considered calling, raising and folding.

-- Homer

Bob T.
03-23-2004, 06:08 PM
What the heck, I call, you are getting 2-1, and unless your opponen slowplayed and Ace, a King, or QT, you are goiing to win.

I don't see much benefit in raising, and I think you are giving up to much if you fold.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.

bagger
03-23-2004, 06:25 PM
I'd fold. You're only in the pot for your BB, which you would have lost if it was a poor hand anyway. The pot has been checked all the way to the river and I'd assume someone who intially was afraid of his trips getting beat by a straight now filled into his boat and is betting out.

If he's bluffing all he's taking is your big blind, not a loss IMO. If you call and he's not, you just cost yourself a big bet, not worth it.

I'd live to fight another day in this situation and fold.

crockpot
03-23-2004, 06:59 PM
at first it looks obvious that you shouldn't raise, but it isn't the most unreasonable play. there's a remote chance the guy will call playing the board if he smells a rat, and he may fold a queen earning you $4 over calling. still, i'd like to make this play against a guy i know well.

i would definitely have considered betting the flop or turn, especially against a player who usually raises with Ax or Kx in small blind. most opponents will bluff the river here often enough to make 2:1 profitable on your call.

Homer
03-23-2004, 07:39 PM
Well, this is a good sign, one vote each for call, fold and raise.

I ended up calling. I dismissed folding relatively quickly as I felt that this opponent would not wuss out until the river with a weak Ace, would not try to check-raise the turn with trip Kings, and would not bet the river with a Jack, since it has showdown value. So, I was pretty sure that my hand was best more than 1/3 of the time. I then considered raising, but decided not to because I wasn't sure that I'd get a Q or J to lay down as often as I'd be called or re-raised by a better hand. My read wasn't quite strong enough to pop it, though I felt it was close.

-- Homer

balkii
03-23-2004, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and would not bet the river with a Jack, since it has showdown value.... I then considered raising, but decided not to because I wasn't sure that I'd get a Q or J to lay down

[/ QUOTE ]

Didnt a J get counterfeit on the river, making your lone Q the best?

Homer
03-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Yep, right you are. I'm an idiot today, just ignore me.

GuyOnTilt
03-23-2004, 08:31 PM
What would the rake be if you called? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

GoT

Homer
03-23-2004, 09:46 PM
Fidy cent yo.

Dynasty
03-23-2004, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd fold. You're only in the pot for your BB, which you would have lost if it was a poor hand anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very bad sign concerning the way you think about poker. It should be irrelevent how much or how little you have put into the pot when you make a decision whether to fold, call, or raise. The size of the pot is relevent- not the amount you contributed to that size.

jasonHoldEm
03-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Anyone think it's good to bet the turn? Wouldn't your opponent usually bet into you if he had trip kings (since you checked the flop)? He might have a J, but it's unlikely he c/r you with that...if he calls you can take a free showdown (or obviously bet if you improve).

Maybe I'm way off?

J

Homer
03-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Usually I'll bet the turn here, I'm not sure why I didn't this time. It might have had something to do with the fact that I was playing three games at a time and was on partial auto-pilot.

-- Homer