PDA

View Full Version : Made Up Hand - Flush Draw Related

BIGRED
03-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Sometimes I get a cheap/free SB/BB play and not quite sure how to play. One type of hand that I'm not particulary sure about are the ones where I flop a flush draw with multiple players.

For example, say I'm dealt something like 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif in BB (Should I play this in SB if I have many limpers?... I usually do.)

I see the flop for free and say the flop is something like

A /images/graemlins/spade.gif Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Say the SB folded PF so I'm the 1st to act from BB.
Should I bet out or should I check? I usually check thinking that someone will bet and just follow along.

But I had several hands last night where no one bet and it turned out I could have taken the pot had I bet on the flush draw.

So... what is the best play? Bet out with the flush draw, or check and call. It seems check and call is the right play, but maybe betting is better... I don't know.

mmanne
03-23-2004, 04:16 PM
You're not giving enough information. There is no correct/incorrect way to play this. Important things that must be known:
Number of limpers, and their positions
Type of limpers (aggressive, bluffers, aggressive solid players ...)

All these have to be answered, otherwise my cookie cutter answer is bet out

bagger
03-23-2004, 04:17 PM
Since you are the first to act I would check and call until (hopefully) your flush hits on the turn or river and then check raise on the big bets.

If you were later in position and it was checked to you I'd lead out betting, but early position means that it could be raised back to you, making your pot odds most likely harder to justify your continuation in the hand.

BIGRED
03-23-2004, 04:21 PM
Someone mentioned he needs more detail about this hypothetical situation.

Let's say there are 5 players in for the flop, including me, and one of them is a good player in EP.

What if the good player was LP?

BIGRED
03-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Ok... that's what I was thinking in general, and I guess it out weighs the benfit of those rare times that you might steal the pot by betting out.

mmanne
03-23-2004, 04:30 PM
I think betting is a better move than check-calling here.
Reasons for betting:
Disguising your hand, and hopefully getting an extra bet if you hit the flop.
If you are a 2-1 dog, and 3 people call your bet, you're earning money.
Tiny chance of winning the pot right there.

Reasons not to bet:
If you get raised without a limper calling, you're probably not going to get to see the river. You'll have to pay the raise, and then fold to a turn bet.