PDA

View Full Version : when the river pairs the board

fryKing
03-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Party Poker 2/4 (9 handed)
Hero has Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif and is CO

MP3 limps, Hero raises, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 calls

Flop(10 SB): 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, BB checks, MP3 checks, Hero bets, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, MP3 folds

Turn(6 1/2 BB): T/images/graemlins/club.gif

SB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, SB calls, Hero 3-bets, Button calls, SB calls

River(15 1/2 BB): T/images/graemlins/heart.gif

SB checks, Hero ????

Bet or check, and what's the plan from there?

If you bet, what do you do if you are raised by the button? What if you are check-raised by the SB?

mmanne
03-23-2004, 04:21 PM
I'd feel very comfortable capping this river. There are hands that you lose to, but I'd still cap away.

The button could have a set that he slowplayed until the turn, and then recognized the flush was out there. However, I think a straight or flush is much more probable (or even some pair and draw combinations) or trip 10s
The small blind could have been slowplaying his set-rivered boat, but I don't think so either. I think its more likely that he has a small piece.

schwza
03-23-2004, 04:22 PM
I definitely bet the river. If raised by the small blind, I 3bet expecting to see a smaller flush. If raised by the button I still 3bet, but I'm a little more nervous about it. KT is possible, but so is 9T or a small flush. Against stronger competition than 2/4 Party I'll just call a raise from the button.

Nottom
03-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Bet and call a raise. This should be SOP.

fryKing
03-23-2004, 05:08 PM
I checked like a weak-tighty and it was checked around. Blech. The turn raise into my made flush threw me off and I thought that the T must have made him a set or 2 pair, thus making a full house on the river. A smaller flush is probably more likely though.

So the board is [[8/images/graemlins/club.gifK/images/graemlins/club.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif] T/images/graemlins/club.gif] T/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Button shows A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif6/images/graemlins/club.gif for..um..yeah
Small blind shows 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif4/images/graemlins/heart.gif for...well..

god bless Party, and a good reminder why you should bet that river I guess.

CrackerZack
03-23-2004, 07:04 PM
If you don't bet this river, check to make sure they're still attached. I'd likely 3-bet him as all you can be is 4-bet and the pair came running.

el_grande
03-23-2004, 07:11 PM
I agree that a bet is good here.

But when do you raise? I'm always trying to figure out when to raise a nut flush when the board pairs the river. I've been burned at least 50% of the times I've tried it.

Dynasty
03-23-2004, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet and call a raise. This should be SOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct line of play. 3-betting the river given the way the action went requires a very specific read of your opponents. As far as I can tell, all the posters reccomending 3-betting and capping are only looking at your A/images/graemlins/club.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif.

Bob T.
03-23-2004, 07:42 PM
Bet.
Call one raise.
Next hand.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.