PDA

View Full Version : AQo

04-03-2002, 12:00 AM
loose 2/4 online

I call UTG with AQo. There are two limpers, button and blinds to see the flop of Q 5 2.

The blinds check, I check with the intention to check raise, goes to the button who finally bets. One blind called, I check raise, button and blind call.

The turn comes 10x. Blind checks to my bet which the button now raises. The blind folded, I called.

The river was something or other. I check and called. Any thoughts?

04-03-2002, 01:44 AM
I would guess you were beaten by a set or 2 pair. When you get raised on the turn, in the words of Lee Jones, "your opponent is telling you he can beat top pair." (At least, in these LL games usually). I think your mistake was not raising AQ preflop. It may not have made a bad player fold pocket fives, twos, or QT, but most decent players would dump those holdings if they had to call 2 cold (especially with only 1 or 2 people in). Once the flop comes, there is not much you can do.

Tim

04-03-2002, 02:43 AM
He turns over 10 10 for a set. I didnt raise preflop because I usually do and I thought about a change of pace. My starters had also been missing flops by miles and miles so I thought it wouldn't hurt to tighten up a bit.

04-03-2002, 03:04 AM
I lay down on the turn here probably 75% of the time. You need keep table image in mind though - it may be worth 2 big bets.

04-03-2002, 11:14 AM
I figure you are beat on the turn by either a set or two pair with the most likely suspect being QT. Unless your opponent is the type to try and put a move on you, I think you should consider laying it down. At best you are probably drawing to three outs.

I think you need to raise before the flop. AQo is just not a good multi-way hand and you need to try and thin the field. Limping just invites more callers.

04-03-2002, 11:16 AM
Not much you could do here. My advocated pre-flop raise wouldn't have changed the outcome but still probably the way to go. I can understand wan't to shift gears from time to time, but I think AQo is not the hand to do it with.

04-03-2002, 01:57 PM
I didnt raise preflop because I usually do and I thought about a change of pace.

JMHO, but if I get in a situation where my preflop raises are getting too much respect, rather than limp with a good hand (which is like some sort of suckout magnet) I prefer to find some kind of speculative, draw-y hand in late position and raise with it after a couple of limpers.

Also, I don't think AQo is the kind of hand you want to try to limp with UTG.

04-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Tightening up does not mean you shouldn't raise with a big unsuited cards in a loose game. These types of hands do terribly against a lot of players where top pair does not usually hold up. You need to raise or fold here.

KJS