PDA

View Full Version : I'll be at Foxwoods on Friday, 3/26

Dynasty
03-23-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm 99% certain that I'll be at Foxwoods this Friday. I'll arrive sometime between noon and 2:00pm and should be there a few hours past midnight. I plan on playing several different games including 4-8 and 20-40 hold'em as well as stud.

It would be great to use this opportunity to meet as many east coast 2+2ers as possible. Perhaps, we could all arrange to have a dinner together.

BottlesOf
03-23-2004, 02:36 PM
I was planning on going some time soon. If you're gonna be there Friday, and it sounds like some others are too, this might be the perfect day to go.

Clarkmeister
03-23-2004, 02:43 PM
If you arrange things correctly, you might not have to pay for a single meal. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

CrackerZack
03-23-2004, 02:44 PM
Nice timing. I'll fly out tomorrow morning and won't be back until April. Hopefully JTG and JoeTall among others will have some meeting stories to relay. Plus make him tell the beach ball story.

JTG51
03-23-2004, 02:48 PM
I should be able to make it down, but probably not until 6:30 PM or so. At that time of night I may not be able to get in a game before midnight, but at least I'll be able to get dinner.

And like Clarkmeister said, you probably won't have to pay. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Greg (FossilMan)
03-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Get there earlier if you can.

Friday is the $300 NLH event of the New England Poker Classic. This will probably be the most attended tournament of the entire 10 day series. It is NLH, it is the cheapest buyin price, and it's on a Friday. The event starts at 10am, and there will be LOTS of low to middle limit holdem players busted out by noon to 2pm. You will be fighting all of them for seats in a room that is already full to capacity on Fridays and weekends, even without a big tournament series.

If you can, arrive before 10am to put your name on the lists BEFORE anybody is busted out of the tourney. If this event sells out, you might find the room full of live games even before 10am.

Good luck. I won't be there, as my parents are visiting from out of state during the first week of the NEPC.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

JoeU
03-24-2004, 03:06 PM
It looks like the Mrs has given me permission to come down, although I will probably be down after 8:00. Looks like I'm gonna miss dinner, but glad I get the chance to meet up with you before I go to Vegas (so I can avoid you at the tables when I'm on your turf! /images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Joe

Nottom
03-24-2004, 03:53 PM
Makes me wish it weren't a 20 hour drive to foxwoods.

Joe Tall
03-24-2004, 05:10 PM
I'm not sure if I'll be down there, yet. If I can get a date changed to Saturday, I'll make it.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Homer
03-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Makes me wish it weren't a 20 hour drive to foxwoods.

Twenty hours from Virginia to Foxwoods? What are you driving these days, a moped? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MaxPower
03-24-2004, 06:29 PM
What does it say about me that I actually considered driving up to Foxwoods from NY just to meet Dynasty?

What doesn it say about me that I am extremely busy at work, but I've probably made ten posts today and I am going to take Friday off to play golf?

Enjoy your time at Foxwoods Dynasty. I hope to see you on my next trip to Vegas.

Nottom
03-24-2004, 06:35 PM
Maybe I meant round trip /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Homer
03-24-2004, 06:58 PM
Maybe you did.

JTG51
03-24-2004, 09:07 PM
What doesn it say about me that I am extremely busy at work, but I've probably made ten posts today and I am going to take Friday off to play golf?

That you've got your priorities in order.

rigoletto
03-25-2004, 05:09 PM
I might be able to make it if we can arrange a late dinner (8ish). Anybody know of a cheap place to stay?

I've been dying (well ok, maybe just comatic or chronically ill) to met you for years, it would be fun!

JTG51
03-25-2004, 05:21 PM
Anybody know of a cheap place to stay?

How close do you want to stay? If you just want a place to sleep on the way home there are lots of cheap motels half an hour away on Rt 95 (I'm assuming you'll be taking that route from NY?).

Another option is downtown Norwich, about 15 minutes away. I know there are a couple of hotels/motels there, but I don't know any details.

Hopefully I'll see you tonight.

JTG51
03-25-2004, 05:35 PM
NM

BottlesOf
03-25-2004, 06:39 PM
Just wondering how we will all meet up. I assume different people will be showing up at different times. Is there a set meal in place, in case we aren't able to meet up during the day?

I personally plan on arriving in the early afternoon, and rocking it until the wheels fall off. I would love to meet with/talk with/ play with any 2+2ers during my time. So if you want, we can pm each other cell numbers.

Barring that, is someone planning on making a dinner res.?

Homer
03-25-2004, 06:48 PM
I wish I were free tomorrow. It sounds like it will be a nice gathering.

Barry
03-25-2004, 07:03 PM
Rigoletto -

The Raddison in Norwich is decent and it's right off 395. Also about 5 minutes from FW's is the Hilltop (N Stonington).

The only problem is due to the NE Poker Classic most places might be sold out this week.

There are probably a bunch of places in Groton that you can stay (20-30 mins away)

Joe Tall
03-25-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm going to make it. I might have the date with me, but it looks good. The date was a casual thing anyway.

Where r we meeting up?

CU then,
Joe Tall

Dynasty
03-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Here's my current plan. I'm leaving from Boston at about 10:00am and expect to be at Foxwoods around noon time. My friend says we'll probably have to take off between 10:00pm and midnight.

I'll be wearing a yellow/gold t-shirt with lions on the front, sweatpants, and black sneakers. I should have an old, very beat-up leather jacket on the back of my chair. I could be playing either stud or hold 'em at almost any limit from 4-8 to 20-40.

For those who have expressed interest in a 2+2 dinner, I'd reccomend that we plan eating at about 8:00 or 8:30 since some people have said they won't be there until the early evening. I don't know why but I've really wanted to go to the Foxwoods buffet for a while. I liked it several years ago and it's certainly better than what the Mirage offers (which is the buffet I'm at most). I hope there's a way we can avoid those ridiculously long lines I remember.

Ulysses
03-25-2004, 09:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
a yellow/gold t-shirt with lions on the front, sweatpants, and black sneakers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess not all the Vegas 2+2ers are into the whole LGPG thing. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

daryn
03-25-2004, 10:05 PM
the foxwoods buffet is great! too bad i'm on a diet /images/graemlins/frown.gif

JTG51
03-25-2004, 10:24 PM
The buffet line will probably still be pretty long at 8:30, but it does move quickly. If we decide it's too long there are other good options.

JTG51
03-25-2004, 10:27 PM
I don't think we can make reservations at any place that we'd actually want to go to.

I won't be there till 6:30 or 7, but I'll try to find you when I arrive. Send me a PM with a description and/or cell phone number if you want (same goes for anyone else that I don't already know).

Joe Tall
03-25-2004, 10:32 PM
I've got Met-lovin-Bottle-necks # and I'll give him a call when I get there. I'll be there around 7PM, and looking forward to dinner at 8PM, I'm sure I can get on a list and be in a game by 10.

BottlesOf
03-25-2004, 10:40 PM
If anyone wants me to put a name on a list or to find out what the lists are like you can call me.

If you don't have my number, you can pm me.

-Bottles

JoeU
03-25-2004, 11:01 PM
I should be there between 8:00-8:30. I have JTG's and Joe Tall's cell # so I'll call one of you when I leave my house. Don't delay dinner for me. I'll probably wear the Matsui Jersey again since I recieved such wonderful comments from all the Sox fans! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Joe

rigoletto
03-25-2004, 11:22 PM
I'll be in a 3 piece black suit and a black fedora!

JoeU
03-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Don't you think you might be a little overdressed? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you are coming from NY, don't take I-95. There was a HUGE accident in Bridgeport and the highway might be shut down for weeks according to the news. Try the Merritt to Milford and you should be ok to cross over to 95 for the rest of the trip. Leave yourself extra time if you can.

See you tomorrow.

Joe

JTG51
03-25-2004, 11:33 PM
I wish I were free tomorrow.

I wish you were also, but at least now you won't have to battle through the disaster in Bridgeport. I imagine it's not on your local news, but an oil tanker caught fire in an accidenton Rt 95 in Bridgeport tonight. They expect the highway to be closed for several days or even weeks.

rigoletto
03-25-2004, 11:51 PM
No, everybody else are underdressed. Americanici... schish!

Thanks for the traffic info!

daryn
03-25-2004, 11:52 PM
you mean everybody "is" /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

i'll be there sunday

rigoletto
03-26-2004, 04:25 PM
Sorry guys. I won't be able to make it anyway. Getting out of state guests tomorrow, so it's not worth the 2.5 hr drive for one night. Some other time - have fun!

Lazymeatball
03-27-2004, 03:22 AM
didn't Matsui hurl a baseball right into Arods face this week?

Rushmore
03-27-2004, 11:31 AM
I looked for you, man. I figured that jacket wouldn't be too hard to spot.

I was in the 20/40 from like 10AM-2PM, but then jumped into the 75/150. You were not in evidence. Maybe that's because, uh, well...

FOXWOODS IS SO TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY INEPTLY-RUN AT THIS POINT THAT YOU'D HAVE TO BE INSANE TO WANT TO SIT IN THAT GOD-FORSAKEN PLACE.

And that made me so terribly unhappy that I just couldn't see straight.

Or maybe it was the rack I lost to a beatable table in the 75/150.

OK. That was probably it.

Dynasty
03-27-2004, 12:13 PM
I got there at noon and was wandering around the poker room until about 3:00 when I finally got into a 10-20 stud game. Then, I got into a 20-40 hold 'em game shortly after 4:00 and was playing there until I went to dinner at 8:00.

I had dinner with four 2+2 posters- Joe Tall, BottlesOf, JTG, and JoeU. They all found the yellow/gold t-shirt with lions on it.

[ QUOTE ]
FOXWOODS IS SO TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTELY INEPTLY-RUN AT THIS POINT THAT YOU'D HAVE TO BE INSANE TO WANT TO SIT IN THAT GOD-FORSAKEN PLACE.

[/ QUOTE ]

A true understatement. Clarkmeister likes to criticize the Mirage and Bellagio for being poorly run in comparision to the Commerce. But, even he would say the Vegas rooms are nearly perfect compared to Foxwoods. When I arrived at noon, there was a waiting list several hours long. Yet, there were a dozen empty tables in the room and those tables did not get filled for at least four hours. The tables simply sat empty as the waiting lists grew longer and longer.

toots
03-27-2004, 01:03 PM
The empty tables are probably an indication of workforce scheduling problems.

I mean, they probably can't open the tables until the dealers are on shift, and as far as I can tell (from the quantity and quality of dealers), the number of dealers on payroll is still the limiting factor at Foxwoods.

JTG51
03-27-2004, 01:22 PM
Yet, there were a dozen empty tables in the room and those tables did not get filled for at least four hours. The tables simply sat empty as the waiting lists grew longer and longer.

They finally opened games on all of the empty tables shortly after you left, once the next shift of dealers came in. Foxwoods just doesn't have enough dealers to run an 1100 person tournament and have 70 games going at the same time.

Strangely, by 11 PM there was open seating at 10/20 and 20/40. The only explanation I can think of is that a bunch of people went to bed early because they were playing in the tournament this morning.

But yeah, I agree. The place is very poorly run.

Rushmore
03-27-2004, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had dinner with four 2+2 posters- Joe Tall, BottlesOf, JTG, and JoeU. They all found the yellow/gold t-shirt with lions on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh. T-shirt. I was looking for a sateen, Sylvester Stallone-style jacket.

No worries. I'm not very good company, anyway. (see my trip report).

Hope you did OK in spite of everything.

JoeU
03-27-2004, 02:20 PM
Hey, it happens. Matsui was just "toughening him up" for the trip to Tokyo.

I love how people get a kick out of that jersey in Foxwoods. Think I'll wear it when I go there from now on.

Joe