PDA

View Full Version : I am a fish!

kiemo
03-23-2004, 01:04 PM
This morning my daughter decided I should be awake at 5am and then when I was fully awake she decides shes sleepy again. So with an about 2 hours to go till time to goto work I decided to try some early AM poker, an avenue I had yet to walk down.

Well, lost 20 BB in about 15 minutes (unheard of in my normal tight/passive gaming style). Here I present for your viewing pleasure 3 of the reasons I am fish.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

<font color="blue">What the hell am I doing???? </font>

Turn: (6.70 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (9.70 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP2 shows 7h 8h (flush, ace high).
Hero shows 7s Ks (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: MP2 wins 13 BB. </font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (3 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">Yeah um Kiemo, look past the three kings you have and see the FLUSH or maybe even a full house!!!/color]

River: (11 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

MP2 shows 7h 8h (flush, ace high).
Hero shows 7s Ks (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: MP2 wins 13 BB. </font>

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP3 posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.08 (All-In), MP3 (poster) folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Flop: (9.60 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (5.80 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

<font color="blue"> Uh-oh. This person in SB who I have listed as a extreme calling station check raises me. What could that possibly mean??</font>

River: (9.80 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.80 BB

SB shows Ts Ks (full house, tens full of jacks).
Hero shows Kh Kd (two pair, kings and jacks).
MP2 shows 7h As (two pair, jacks and tens).
Outcome: SB wins 11.80 BB. </font>

So as homework, why dont you count the number of big bets Kiemo could've easily saved himself by just playing smart.

My daughter will receive full blame for these hands

B Dids
03-23-2004, 01:40 PM
You've got some errors in your results. Nobody has any kings on the first hand.

I think your flop call is decent. If they've both got flushes you've got outs that beat them, and you've still got a hand that may very well be the best.

From your comments it seems more like your problem is being weak tight. Yeah- you got beat by some good hands, but that happens. The biggest problem is the monsters under the bed that you're seeing.

bisonbison
03-23-2004, 01:55 PM
That post is a rainbow of confusion.

Nottom
03-23-2004, 04:48 PM
Hand 1:

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell am I doing????

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are referring to the fact that you didn't cap the flop, I'm not sure what you are talking about here.

You results are a bit screwy here since so I don't know how it went down. I'd like to say you beat the buttons AA, but since you are a fish I guess you lost.

Hand 2:
The flop bet is questionable into such a coordinated flop and an overcard, but I'm not gonna complain about it.

Yeah slow down on the turn, but you already knew that.

Hand 3:
I would usually play it the same way.

kiemo
03-23-2004, 06:15 PM
My apologies I pasted the wrong results into the first hand.
They were
CO: shows [Kc 8h] (high card King)
Hero: shows [Qs Js] (two pair, Queens and Jacks)
Button: shows [8s 9c] (a straight, Eight to Queen)

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1:

[ QUOTE ]
What the hell am I doing????

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you are referring to the fact that you didn't cap the flop, I'm not sure what you are talking about here.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fact that I just called a reraise with a flush and straight flop.

I have learned two lessons in mirco.

1. Micro players usually dont reraise on draws. For the vast majority of them a raise = I GOT MY HAND!!!

2. If there is a 3 flush board or 3 no gap connector cards, someone almost always has made their hand.

This is wrong thinking probably, but night after night of flushes and straights winning a good majority of pots makes me very nervous to play against them.

On that hand I only had 2 opponents, but as most know in micro usually I have 7-8 in this same situation. Guess in my head I was playing in those coniditions and seeing ghosts.

B Dids
03-23-2004, 06:32 PM
You need to read that MajorKong post about crushing the low limits.

You want to bet this flop. Maybe you go into check call depending on your reads, but you don't fold.

"2. If there is a 3 flush board or 3 no gap connector cards, someone almost always has made their hand."

This is a big ole monster under the bed, and you need to make it go away.

sthief09
03-23-2004, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my normal tight/passive gaming style

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, I don't have any big objections the way you played these hands. You're not a fish, especially consider you think you are doing things wrong when you aren't. Fish are the opposite. They think they're playing well when they aren't. You your self-criticism is a huge advantage for you, one that can make you a great player one day.

But you seem content with your "tight/passive gaming style." Why? You will do much better if you learn to play aggressively.

kiemo
03-23-2004, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But you seem content with your "tight/passive gaming style." Why? You will do much better if you learn to play aggressively.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to PT
7% PF raise
1.07 Aggression factor.

So I guess I am kinda in between passive/aggressive.

I probably just believe I am getting sucked out more then normal and hence it affects my game.

Thanks for the compliment BTW.

bisonbison
03-23-2004, 07:31 PM
you can safely ignore pokertracker's preflop aggression number. 6-8% preflop raising is solidly where you are and want to be.

Hell, anyone who raises more than 5% at party low limit games gets marked as preflop aggressive by me.

blackaces13
03-23-2004, 07:41 PM
You can't fold everytime you think you might be beat. In fact, a lot or times you can't fold even when you are 90% sure you are beat. It all matters how big the pot is and how likley it is that you may improve. If you have to call 1 bet or even a raise and there are 15BB's in the pot and you have top 2 pair but the flush just hit, IMO you have to call everytime. If you think there's a 75% chance you're beaten but the pot has 20 bets in it and you only have to call 2, then folding is a HUGE mistake.

sthief09
03-23-2004, 08:08 PM
I agree with that 100%. I agree that the aggression rating probably doesn't mean a whole lot, but that number is a lot higher than just about everyone I look at in Poker Tracker.

So it looks like you are a good player who is very humble about his game. That will help you become a very good player one day.

kiemo
03-23-2004, 09:38 PM
Maybe the 23rd of the month is just not my day.

These are the reasons why I am scared to get aggressive. From today again after I got home from work.

Hero is SB with Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif T /images/graemlins/heart.gif

UTG+1/EP2/MP2/Button calls, Hero completes,BB checks

Preflop: (6 SB) 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (6 players)

SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 bets, EP2 calls, MP2 calls, Button folds, Hero raises, BB folds, UTG+1 3-bets, MP2 calls, Hero caps, EP2/MP2 call

<font color="blue">Sweet this POT IS MINE MWHAHAHAHA!! </font>

Turn (9.5 BB) K /images/graemlins/club.gif (3 players)

Hero bets, UTG+1 raises, MP2 calls, Hero 3-bets, UTG+1/MP2 call

RIVER (18.5 BB) 9 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)

<font color="blue">Well that certainly wasnt a card I wanted to see, can I trade it in for a 3</font>

Hero bets, UTG raises, MP2 folds, Hero calls

Final Pot 22.5 BB

Hero shows [Qs Th] - a straight, Nine to King
EP2 shows [Kh Ks] - full house, Kings full of Nines

Hand 2

Hero is UTG+1 with K /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG bets, Hero raises,MP1/UTG call

FLOP (10.5 SB) J /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 players)

UTG checks, Hero bets, MP1/UTG calls

<font color="blue">Okay damn!. Micro players will slowplay trips usually so what to do??</font>

TURN (7.2 BB) 6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 players)

UTG checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls, UTG raises, Hero calls, MP2 folds

<font color="blue">Well there it is, the slowplay. Pots pretty big. Will have to call one here and one on the river, so what are my odds..... ahhhhh</font>

RIVER (12.2 BB) 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 players)

UTG bets, Hero calls

UTG shows [Ad Jc] - three of a kind, Jacks
Hero shows [Ks Kc] - two pair, Kings and Jacks

Its not hard to wonder why I am chasing monsters under my bed when this is a pretty good example of how March has fared for me (Lost last 14 AK).

blackaces13
03-23-2004, 09:47 PM
You can't worry about things like this happening. In both circumstances you got in the raises with the best hand. Of course in Micro games you will get out drawn, a lot. But not putting extra money in the pot whrn you have the best of it, and sometimes the best of it may mean you will still only be winning the pot 1 in 3 times, is a mistake and in the longrun it costs you money.

One guy turned a set and rivered a boat on you, would you have rathered he do this cheaply? Obviously you are not folding this hand at any point so you may as well ram and jam it all the way and make sure that the times he doesn't go runner runner on you he pays the max.

Pocket aces win about 1/3 of the time against the loosest tables. Does this mean that you shouldn't raise with them pre-flop? Of course not, pocket aces are the most profitable hand in the game by a long shot. The more money you get into the pot pre-flop the better, even though you will lose far more than half the time when you are on the button and everyone limps to you.

afk
03-23-2004, 10:18 PM
Listen Kiemo,

I've been at the same table as you recently - you're a decent player, and you're better than most of the players at our limit (haha I've got you marked as "2+2 - watch yourself!". You're only bound to get better. I just came out of the same kind of bad streak you're enjoying now, keep at it, plug some holes, and good luck!