PDA

View Full Version : Did I give up to soon

Jeffro
03-23-2004, 12:47 PM
I seem to be having a tough time dealing with these types of hands. Was it time to retreat on the turn or do you fire one more time, if these were overcards I will probably fire one more time with the inside straight draw. I'm trying to lay more of these slim hands down but feeling weak in the process.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, Hero raises, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero bets, CO calls.

Turn: (3.70 BB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.70 BB

LA_Price
03-23-2004, 01:26 PM
I don't know if i like the preflop raise from this early a position. This is the kind of hand you want to play against many opponents or in late positon. I think the main problem with this hand is that you don't have position. When the CO cold calls you from LP I think you have to give up bluffing at this hand. You can't really call his turn bet now can you. You have nothing but an inside straight draw and are probably up against aces. This is a small pot anyways. I have no problem check folding on the flop.

If you want to bluff at this hand here's how I'd do it. On the flop: check. Have you ever noticed how people are afraid to bet on a flop with an ace if they don't have it? Well if you haven't you should take note next time you see a flop when someone doesn't have the ace. Watch as it gets merrily checked around(most of the time anyway). On the turn you can fire out a bet if CO player checked. People have an unnatural fear of aces, 3 flush card flops, and pairs on the board. They'll usually be hesitant to bet unless they are a Loose aggressive or tight aggressive player(this is where notes come in handy). He may even have aces and give you a free card.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
03-23-2004, 01:37 PM
Hi Jeffro,

Without any specific reads, I think you need to bet the turn against a single opponent. The rest of the hand looks good.

Easy laydown to a turn raise, and check/fold the river unimproved.