PDA

View Full Version : Another mis-played SB hand

04-02-2002, 08:26 PM
I'm in the SB with As5s. Five players at the table, UTG fold, call, call, I call, BB checks.

Flop TsJhJs. My first instinct is I will lose to a full house on this hand and bet into this flop. I was raised immediately and two call the double bet. The turn is 2s and I am pretty sure my flush is dead. I foolishly bet into the raiser again. Wow, I was dumb and was raised again, too. I re-raised, looking to see if he was really holding JT or just a lone J. I was re-raised.

The river was 2h and now there is nothing stopping that lone J from taking it down. I was still foolish enough to check/call the river. Man I play bad every now and then.

Can you guess what he was holding? All comments/criticisms are welcome, as I REALLY need to play better from the blinds in the future.

Speedy

04-02-2002, 08:37 PM
Well, I was right about one thing, I was going to lose this pot. It turns out; he flips over 22 and wins it with quads. I would have never put him on that hand and the fact that I was whooped so hard lets me know I need some work when I play out of the SB.

Out of 1237 recorded SB hands I am -133BB. Besides the obvious flaws in this crappy hand, what should I do to improve my play today?

Thank you again for reviewing my games

Speedy

04-02-2002, 10:00 PM
Your call from the blind is OK. A case (maybe a good case) can be made for a pre flop raise. In a limited field, the ace might hold more value than the flush potential.

I think you were over-worried about the full house after the flop. Sure j-10 may have been out there, but one of the first things a player with limited experience has to learn to do is to not always expect the worst. My thought looking at that flop would be 'Well the value of my ace is reduced due to the possibility of trips."

Your flop play is the first place that I would take exception. You comment that you "foolishly bet" then re-raised to see where you were. I think you are reacting here and not thinking. A 'rookie mistake" i used to make myself. You need to train yourself to think "if-then." If I do this and that happens i will do this. You bet the flop with your big flush. I don't think that is a horrible play. Your thought process should have included "What will I do to a raise or call."

I understand the logic to the re-raise. (Agreeing with it is another story) You got the answer you were seeking with a re-raise and it does not appear you acted on it.

I peeked at your results post and question about improving. You indicate that you have 1200+ hands played. Would this equate to 40-60 hours? If so, you do not have enough experience to be overly concerned with results. -$133 is probably not even that big a deviation within this range of time depending on limits.