PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 bike, putting him on aces and sticking to it

Steve Giufre
03-23-2004, 11:41 AM
20-40 at the bike. Good game, I have a tight image. A couple limpers and I limp on the button with red sixes. The SB raises, and the BB calls. 5 of us to the flop. A quick word on the SB. He's painfully tight preflop and very straight forward post flop. I am yet to see him get out of line, and he has not raised out of the blinds in about five hours of play.

Flop:A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif3 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

SB checks, as does the rest of the field.

Turn:6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

SB bets, BB calls, all fold to me and raise. SB three bets, BB folds, I think for a bit and put my hand in the dumpster. More later.

sweetzer
03-23-2004, 11:55 AM
This hand brings up one of my key questions on flop play: what to do if one has been the raiser preflop, then flops top set, etc. A check on the flop seems very suspicious, as I normally autobet the flop after being the preflop aggressor. Here his flop check is a red flag by itself, and moreso after he three bets the turn, especially with a pair on the board. But at limit poker, there is still enough chance that he has AK that I could not lay down my hidden full house at this point. Since there were three limpers preflop, he doesn't put anyone on AK, so he could play this hand strongly.

Bartholow
03-23-2004, 12:02 PM
The only reason I think you can't muck this is that your hand is so hard to read. Couldn't he raise AKs and play it this way? Since I assume you are reasonable, he can't put you on a 3, so even if he seems weak-tight he may be able to 3 bet here. Need I reference the shrimp cocktail/fur coat dilemma?

beerbandit
03-23-2004, 12:04 PM
If you are that positive that he has AA then that was a great laydown. If I was in this situation with the 66 I would pay this off he may have AK /images/graemlins/club.gif.

TheGrifter
03-23-2004, 12:23 PM
There's almost 500 bucks in the pot, it's gonna cost you 80 to call him down. He'd have to flip those rockets face up for me to fold here.

Steve Giufre
03-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Sure he could have raised AKs but I dont think he would have played it this way. I think it's important to think about not only his image but also the way he views me at the table. He hasnt seen me get out of line all game. It's tough for me to have a 3 on the button but certainly not impossible. When I raise him on the turn I have to assume he is reasonably sure I can beat one pair, especially since he raised his own SB preflop. Also, I think he likely would have come out beting the flop with AK. The check looks a lot more like a set of aces or a pair of kings or queens not AK. It's also a little tough for him to 3 bet AK because of the possiblity that the BB smooth called with a 3 looking to trap him. Also, he should know that I would have raised a big ace on the button, and given his perception of me, he knows I'm not gonna raise a small or medium ace here, considering he raised his own SB. Given his image, (he was about as weak passive as a player that I have ever played with), I think the laydown was right.

beerbandit
03-23-2004, 01:27 PM
I think he is a good player and he made you fold the best hand on the turn.