PDA

View Full Version : Deception reducing profits?

cianosheehan
03-23-2004, 11:08 AM
PokerStars Hold'em Limit ($0.02/$0.04)
3 handed

hero big blind

hero dealt 5c 7s

button calls
sb calls
hero checks

*** FLOP *** [7h 6s 3c]
sb checks
hero bets .02
button calls
sb calls

*** TURN *** [7h 6s 3c] [7d]
sb checks
hero checks
button bets .04
sb folds
hero calls
*** RIVER *** [7h 6s 3c 7d] [3d]
hero checks
button bets .04
hero raises .04
button calls

Hero shows full house, sevens full of threes
button mucks

Maybe I should have either bet on the turn, or re-raised his raise. But by not doing so, if he was bluffing, I knew he would do so on the river aswell, and by raising or even re-raising the turn it could have scared him off. Thoughts?

bwana devil
03-23-2004, 11:24 AM
slow playing at micro limits (especially $.02) usually doesnt pay off. people are going to call just to see if they beat you. you were giving either opponent a chance for a straight to beat your two pairs (pre-river). id just bet it out and get the others to fold.

StellarWind
03-23-2004, 12:35 PM
Yes!

Don't play like this. Most of the time Button will check behind you and you will have lost a bet or two.

But this time the turn check worked great--checkraise him immediately. Don't wait to the river to try and make your money. He probably won't play with you if he's missed his straight draw.

Do you know about Bisonbison's hand converter? That's why everyone else's hands look so pretty:

www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Zetack
03-23-2004, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Maybe I should have either bet on the turn, or re-raised his raise. But by not doing so, if he was bluffing, I knew he would do so on the river aswell, and by raising or even re-raising the turn it could have scared him off. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know plenty of players who don't have the stones to fire a final bluff on the river. And they may be right not to bluff at a guy calling all the way (or betting the flop and check/calling the turn) ...too many calling stations. Your check having worked on the turn, go through with the C/R. As has been pointed out, he may be on a draw, extract another bet from him while he still has hope...

--Zetack

Ed Miller
03-23-2004, 06:25 PM
This is fine, don't worry about it. If you have a big hand, the pot is small, and you are heads-up, the only thing to worry about is how to trick your opponent into putting as much money in the pot as possible. Looks like your way works fine.