PDA

View Full Version : PP .5/1 - Heads-up w/ AKo

04-02-2002, 10:59 AM
I raise first in from EP. All fold to the CO who calls. Everyone else folds. I've only "been sitting" at the table for a couple of rounds, but CO is already starting to smell a little fishy. Flop comes Q 9 x (I don't remember the suits). I bet, he raises, I call. (Good? Bad?) Turn is a J. I check, debating whether or not to call when...he checks? River is a blank. I bet (Good? Bad?), he calls.

Results to follow.

Thanks,

Matt

04-02-2002, 11:00 AM
He turns over 98o and takes it down. /images/frown.gif

04-02-2002, 12:16 PM
Bad position, not many good options. He checked the turn, so he may be putting you on JJ/TT and wants to see the river cheaply. Then again at .5/1 only about 1/3 of players actually consider what other players might have.

I would assume he would check the river, so I would check the river. You will need a shotgun to get someone to fold the river in your situation. I might even check/fold the river depending on my knowlege of the player.

04-02-2002, 02:32 PM
What about on the turn? If he had bet, do you think this is a call or a fold situation?

04-02-2002, 02:42 PM
definite call,

given that you called his raise on the flop, I think it is reasonable.

You have 7 clean outs (though tough to identify which are clean) and 3 that might be ok.

04-02-2002, 03:16 PM
I was only commenting on the river play.

Turn play stricly in your situation, ddds wise, using my bizaro math, I count 10 outs (3a, 3k, and 4t). I would discount the ace, as this could be bad for you, but I would put it at 50%. So lets say 8.5 outs with more than enough to call the turn.

However, that being said I'm not sure I would be in your position. I certainly have found myself there, but try not to these days. Once everyone drops and only the button calls your pre-flop, I think you need to decide how you want to play this right then. Are you playing a big pair? Can the button lay down mid/bottom pair? Do you want to see the river?

This is really an it depends answer. If I've been playing strong and betting out with top pair, and with AK no pair, I may try to vary my play a little. I try to check on a few of my raises to mix things up. Otherwise your opponents can put alot of pressure on your pre-flop raise/bets by just re-raising you everytime.

If I know the BB has a tough time letting go of any-pairs, I might try one of the follow. Check-raise the flop. Bet the turn. Bet the river. Creates alot of pressure to hold on to bottom pair/mid pair. If you get caught, do the same play with the goods (AA, KK, etc). You'll get a few callers and rake in the BB.

Check-fold the flop. You've only invested 1BB and are playing a draw against one player. You can add up the outs and make a case, but since he's fishy he's likley holding anything. This is a 1BB investment play. It shows you can lay down your AK/AQ preflop raise. Next time you raise pre-flop/bet out flop, the table will notice that a little more. They may just believe you have something. Now if you get raised when you raise pre-flop/bet flop, pay attention as you are likely way behind.

Bet/Fold to the raise on the flop. Same reasons as above, but IMO a much weaker play since you're not willing to go through with your bet.

04-02-2002, 06:53 PM
In a game where someone is just as likely to show 79o as AK, you are going to have to show them the best hand everythime. That's all there is to it.

Thank you Mr. Brunson.

Joe