PDA

View Full Version : Playing the flush draw very hard

Nate tha' Great
03-23-2004, 04:04 AM
Online 15/30, 7-handed. I'm UTG and there's a poster in the CO. All players are very loose, Button and BB are LAGs.

I've got A /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif and bring it in for a raise. MP1 calls two, poster mucks, Button 3-bets, fishy SB calls three, Button caps, I call, as does everyone else.

5 to the flop for 21 SB.

btw, given a suited hand, and the fact that the Button and BB are both confirmed LAGs, I don't even consider folding here. I'm not sure that I'd even be comfortable folding AJo here. The game has turned wild.

The flop is 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB and BB check, I bet out, MP1 calls, Button raises, SB and BB fold, I 3-bet and they both call.

Turn is Q /images/graemlins/club.gif, I bet, MP1 folds and Button calls.

River is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I bet and Button folds.

Anyone else play it different? It seems to me the chance to fold out a hand like A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif is fairly valuable, as well as any pocket pairs that could turn or river a boat. I could give a rat's ass about building value for my draw with the pot as big as it is.

Luke
03-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Nate,

I like it on all streets. The pot is big and you put pressure on hands you'd like to fold. Nice play.

Luke

Steve Giufre
03-23-2004, 11:22 AM
I think a case can be made for checking the queen, but I think I like the bet. You put MP in a tough spot if he has a small or middle pair because he has to fear a raise behind him. I would be less concerned about the button's hand. The cold call the raise and then cap when it gets back around play is nonsense, I think he probably has a random hand given your description of him.

DcifrThs
03-23-2004, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Online 15/30, 7-handed. I'm UTG and there's a poster in the CO. All players are very loose, Button and BB are LAGs.

I've got A /images/graemlins/heart.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif and bring it in for a raise. MP1 calls two, poster mucks, Button 3-bets, fishy SB calls three, Button caps, I call, as does everyone else.

5 to the flop for 21 SB.

btw, given a suited hand, and the fact that the Button and BB are both confirmed LAGs, I don't even consider folding here. I'm not sure that I'd even be comfortable folding AJo here. The game has turned wild.

The flop is 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB and BB check, I bet out, MP1 calls, Button raises, SB and BB fold, I 3-bet and they both call.

Turn is Q /images/graemlins/club.gif, I bet, MP1 folds and Button calls.

River is A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, I bet and Button folds.

Anyone else play it different? It seems to me the chance to fold out a hand like A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/club.gif is fairly valuable, as well as any pocket pairs that could turn or river a boat. I could give a rat's ass about building value for my draw with the pot as big as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice play in this spot but one quick thing:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is wrong. at least for me. i may be conservative but i do not think ajo is anywhere near anything i'd like to go to war with...aggressive players = you player FEWER hands most of the time since if you're gunna be putting in THAT many bets, youd like the probability you're doing it while ahead to be as high as possible.

yea ajo is gunna be better than many of the LAGs capping hands but how do you play when you miss? i just don't think its worth it in this spot to even CONSIDER playing ajo. ajs of course gives you more to work with...around 10% more...

maybe i'm just too conservative here but i'd like a higher kicker or high middle pocket pair to play capped pots preflop.

but given the action, nice playing tex.
-Barron

Steve Giufre
03-23-2004, 11:51 AM

dansalmo
03-23-2004, 01:47 PM
The action in the hand indicates that the game loose/agressive. In this case calling before the flop is better than raising, since you have better implied odds and would would likely get one or two more players to go along for the ride at a lower cost to you. You are only looking to go for a monster here, not top pair. If you had AJo, you would muck it right?

Since you are in a later position relative to the others, your raise on the flop was good, for the chance of a free card on the turn and to improve the chances of winning if an A or J comes, but you should have taken the free card on the turn.

Had you just called pre-flop and had more players on the flop, then a check/call until you make a hand is the better way to go.

Nightwish
03-23-2004, 06:01 PM
OK, so you're playing against 2 semi-maniacs. Why bet the flop? You know you won't get anyone out and the button is very likely to raise. After all, though you have a nice draw, it's still just a draw. You then 3-bet the flop, which makes no sense to me either. If the button is wild, just call him down until the river. If you hit anything at all, even a J, then go into aggressive mode.

BTW, there's no chance button had AK. More likely some trash like KJ.