PDA

View Full Version : Critique on a Habit i've picked up

Nemesis
03-22-2004, 10:54 PM
Whenever i have 2 overcards to the flop and am in late posistion if it's checked arround the board to me i'll bet out even though i have "nothing". This will frequently get 1 or 2 people to fold. I then check through the turn if nothing hits me and there are no bets when it reaches me... if somebody else bets i fold (unless they're a maniac). Is this a decent move or a bad one?

thirddan
03-22-2004, 11:01 PM
this is very dependent on circumstance...
it depends on preflop action, number of opponents, type of opponents, size of the pot, etc... i think posting some specific hands would be more helpful...

siccjay
03-22-2004, 11:26 PM
This is something that I do too and I'm not sure if I like it. Even though its been checked to you, you are still most likely an underdog as with many limpers the flop more than likely hit someone somehow. That also can ruin some of your outs as people play Ax and Kx and may have bottom pair. I'd like to see some better players comment on when this is right and when its not.

sthief09
03-22-2004, 11:43 PM
Just because you have overcards doesn't mean you don't have the best hand... betting in situations like this where you think (i) you might have the best hand, (ii) you might be able to get a free turn card if you miss, (iii) you think you can get a significant amount of people to fold, and/or (iv) you can clean up your pair outs by folding out people with bottom pair, is a step toward playing aggressive poker.

Nemesis
03-23-2004, 12:02 AM
If there is a flush draw on the table it's better to charge them to see the turn than let them see it free... assuming i only have 2 over cards? Or is it best to just get out with 2 overcards against a flush draw.

MortalNuts
03-23-2004, 12:10 AM
For one thing, you should check out this post by Joe Tall: AK standard procedure (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=433894&page=&view=&sb =5&o=&vc=1)

A lot of what he mentions there is applicable to other cases where you have overcards. (though obviously not all -- with others, you have a greater chance of hitting your overcard outs but still not having the best hand, and a smaller chance your hand is currently best.)

My 2c is basically, not all flops are created equal. Against few opponents on a flop that is ragged, it's obviously a lot more likely that you either have the best hand now or will if you hit. If you raised PF in this situation (which is often the case when you have two overcards), you're probably going to be getting close to the roughly 7:1 you need to hunt overcards; that, coupled with the chances that your opponents will fold or that you will have the best hand unimproved, frequently make a bet correct.

Sorry that's so general; if you want advice for a more specific situation, just ask. It really does depend.

cheers,

mn

TBone
03-23-2004, 12:49 AM
Why would you want to charge a flush draw when you have nothing? Let's not forget, you likely need just as much help on this hand as a flush draw does. (especially so at micro limits where people will tend to call you down w/ their 83o and an 8 flops) You wouldn't mind a free card here as well since all you have is overcards. Too many people are too concerned with giving draws a free card. There's a good post somewhere by MajorKong about charging draws.

I'll oftentimes bet in that scenario if there's no flush or str8 draws. If there are flush or str8 draws, I've seen too many people checkraise and it now costs me 2 bets to see a turn card because I was trying to be aggressive. If I raised pre-flop, I'll bet in that scenario more often.

T

Webster
03-23-2004, 08:21 AM
AK - I'll bet like you and and continue betting if the flop is lower then 10s. ANythingles then AK and low flop I'll bet then check/fold. If I have over cards and there is a scary . . . . it all depends on the table.

Bottom line is - overcards are worthless unless you are in a situation where bluffing will work.

crockpot
03-23-2004, 08:58 AM
i'll go with bad, simply because it seems like you're making this play automatically and not paying attention to many important factors, such as 'how good are my overcards', 'how many opponents do i have', 'how big is the pot', 'do i have any extra outs' (backdoor straights, flushes), 'does the texture of the board make it likely that everyone missed the flop', etc.

of the two extreme strategies, i would rather always check in this situation than always bet. but neither is correct. you have to consider your circumstances before deciding upon the correct play.