PDA

View Full Version : those medium pocket pairs...

fryKing
03-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Looking for feedback on just about every street on this one.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 folds, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 11.75 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 11.75 BB, between MP1 and Hero.</font>
Results in white below: <font color="white">
MP1 shows 5c 5d (full house, fives full of queens).
Hero shows Td Th (two pair, queens and tens).
Outcome: MP1 wins 11.75 BB. </font>

Always raise PF with TT? I've been treating them more as a middle pair than a premium pair of late.

Flop: A good friend of mine, who is a much more successful player than I am, argued I should just put MP on a Queen when he bets and fold the flop. Still not sure about that? I still like my raise to fold overcards.

I should have checked behind on the turn - I've folded everyone else but the original bettor. I'm either ahead or drawing dead at this point, so I'm better off calling a river bet that might be a bluff or taking a free showdown if I can get one. (agree/disagree?)

I also definitely should have folded to the check raise, there's no reason to suspect my opponent is capable of a tricky bluff here.

lil'
03-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Raise those tens, baby. WHOO HOO!!!

bisonbison
03-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Raise preflop. You'll win more than your share with TT. I think you can safely fold this turn.

xerxes
03-22-2004, 06:51 PM
I'd raise pf with TT, yes. If you say that it won't drop anyone out, I say fine, it's a value bet.

I like the raise on the flop. And yes, I dump on the turn c/r

JARID
03-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Pre-flop:
Yes, always raise with your 10-10. True, you will see overcards on the flop more than half of the time, but that is all the more reason to raise pre-flop. When you only call in MP you let all the loose-passives in for one bet with hands like Q6s, K7 etc. Therefore, when the flop comes Q53 like it did, they slide right in to calling station mode and you are beat.
Raise pre-flop and try to drive those type of hands out and when that over card comes it will be less likely to have helped someone.

Flop:
While there is some truth and simplicity to your friends advice I think the answer here is that it depends on the situation and the player. Someone might bet A5s here in an un-raised pot.

Turn:

Check raise should tell you that you are beat. Time to pack it in on this one.

Good Luck
~J

neotope
03-22-2004, 08:16 PM
When you guys say raise preflop generally how much do you mean? Say I'm playing N/L with $.50 BB and I pick-up a hand like TT. Usually I will raise up to $1. Is that too little?

One of my fiends says that he raises to at least $2 with a pocket pair of 9 or greater. Raising to $2 preflop with 99 seems risky to me. What is considered a good amount of raise preflop? I know it depends a lot on the table but I am just looking for some averages.

dirty_dan
03-22-2004, 08:24 PM
This forum is primarily limit. Your question will get better answers in the pot/no-limit forum.

bisonbison
03-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Limit hold'em and NL play completely differently. If you've got questions on the middle pairs in a NL game, you should check out the Pot-, No-Limit forum.

neotope
03-22-2004, 08:25 PM
Sorry guys still new, thanks.

bisonbison
03-22-2004, 08:27 PM
No problem, dude. The double answer probably makes it seem sterner than was meant.