PDA

View Full Version : AKo

04-01-2002, 04:51 PM
No looser than normal 2/4 online.

EP raises, I reraise with AKo in late middle, button calls 3 cold, original raiser calls.

Flop is K J 5, suits unimportant.

Checked to me, I bet button calls, EP folds. Turn is a 10, I bet button hesitates (online so it doesnt necessarily mean anything)and calls. River is another 5. I bet (bad?), button raises and I call (even worse?). Comments are appreciated as always and I'll post results later.

04-01-2002, 04:59 PM
I think your play is solid. The river is a tough choice. I think check-call to induce a bluff here is also viable depending on the player.

If the 5 on the river beat you then you have to be very happy this player is playing at the same table. Heck, if you got beat from a player that slowplayed a hand like A,Q or J,J you have to be happy this player is playing at the same table. Actually, I can't think of a single hand that this guy had that could beat you and that he played well.

04-01-2002, 05:21 PM
j.k.,

I'm having a hard time believing he would have a 5 in his hand. I can't imagine what hand that would include a 5 with which he would call 3 cold preflop and hang around to the river. Of course, this is online LL so it's certainly not impossible. Having said that, I still probably would've check-called the river. Having bet and been raised, I probably would've made the crying call too.

Matt

04-01-2002, 05:22 PM

04-01-2002, 05:35 PM
I think I would have played it the same way but probably folded to the raise. I play at that limit a lot and I bet your up against K-J, K-T or J-T. He was afraid you would fold to the raise on the turn so he waited for the river.

What can you do, he probably saved you some money in this case. Would you have folded to a raise on the turn?

04-01-2002, 05:48 PM
every street seems both correct and routine

04-01-2002, 05:54 PM
at this point i dont think you fold to a raise- even though it is likely that he holds k j, kt, or jt, you still beat 1/3 of these hands (because the five on the river gave you two pair you now beat his jt) and its also possible that he has ak, so i would say odds dictate a call here, with a few explicites after he shows a5o

04-01-2002, 06:43 PM
Thanks for the input. He turned over A Q or the turned straight. In retrospect I think a check and call in that situation is probably best unless against a very weak opponent.

04-01-2002, 09:11 PM
You're right. I didn't notice the board pairing. A call is in order.

04-02-2002, 12:10 AM
I think you played it fine. But button did a fine job to. The fact that you showed strength of leading out on the flop and the turn made him think that he could get you for one more extra bet which he did. As a side note, his hesitation on the turn is a like a tell "acting weak when strong." Better luck next time.

04-02-2002, 01:48 PM
I can't believe how many people try that delay, "I'm thinking should I take this huge chance" tell. Drives me crazy, but it is profitable as they can only figure out what they would do in that situation -- lol.

Last night I'm holding AQ (raise pre-flop) in EP vs. Button. Board KK5. I bet out, button waits at least 10 seconds and calls. Oh shit, I want to get out of this pot I tell myself. Then the ace comes on the turn. I bet out now thinking he may have K9 and put me on AK and drop out -- he is weak. Another ten second delay, call. Now, I really want to get out of this pot. River is a brick. I check, he's waiting... I type "come on bet damit, I know you have it and I'm donating to see it". He bets, I call. Incorrect yes, but I really want him to show it because I've invested a couple of bets and don't want the image that I can be pushed off pots because of a scary board. One bet was worth it to me to maintain my image. And, now the table sees I can put someone on hands which makes my bets more believable -- not much but a little more.

He turns over AK, I muck. Ended up, up 25BB over a couple hours.

04-04-2002, 02:40 PM
What the heck is *NM* ?