PDA

View Full Version : What to do??

04-01-2002, 06:34 AM
Lets assume you have an ace with a weak kicker and only only player limps and your in the cutoff or the button do you:

a) raise

b) fold

c) call

Why??

What about if you raise and get two callers on a flop that gives you no pair and no real draw. Do you check or bet when checked to you??

Why??

-Thanks for all comments

MJ

04-01-2002, 11:50 AM
If there hadn't been a limper before you, you could raise to try to buy the button (if on cutoff), or as a steal. You've got position on the blinds, and any Ace is better than a random hand. If you could get it heads up, that's not so bad. However someone limping in changes things.

Without specific information regarding the limper, I'd fold this. Ace/weak kicker isn't much of a hand here. What flop do you like? If you pair your ace, you can't bet it very aggressively because of your weak kicker. If you pair your kicker, it's probably second or third pair on the board, and you can't bet that aggressively either.

This is a trouble hand that's likely to be a slight favorite or a big dog. You're only likely to get action if you're beat, so the best thing to do is avoid the situation altogether.

Assume you did call or raise, and there's 3 to see the flop, and the flop didn't hit you (which might be better than if it did), and it's checked to you, I'd bet to try and win the pot. I wouldn't invest more than 1 bet though.

04-01-2002, 08:48 PM
With one limper you fold. Ace-small can either win a little or lose alot. If the Ace hits and you get any action, your stuck to a hand thats probably beat. If nobody has an ace, you bet and they all fold. Now, If the limper plays every hand reguardless, you can then raise, and get the blinds out. That depends on the limper, and I wouldnt go below A-9.

04-02-2002, 12:32 PM
Ace weak kicker (less than 9, in LP, less than 10 in MP, less than J in EP) is a big piece of cheese. Yes, you can snatch it now and then. Most often the trap slams shut and nails you. Doesn't matter how you play it, as I feel there are no reall good options.

Tewall explained it well. What flops do you like. Not many. So, why get in? Decide what can flop that you like. If that's good enough, then play those babies.

Of course there's always an "it depends". If you are on a shorthanded table, 5 or less, then the ace-anything starts to look good. A reasonable number of pots are won by ace high, and also low pair. And, in those situations you're playing players not cards. Couple that with an ace in the hole, and you can start to play those players aggressively.