PDA

View Full Version : small blind questions

k000k
03-22-2004, 02:56 PM
Since you (involuntarily) posted 1/2 a SB in the small blind, can you be more loose with your hand selection? You're forced to put in 1/2 the SB, so it's only costing you 1/2 SB more to play out your hand... If this is the case, how loose can you get?

My call % is higher in the SB than anywhere else cuz this is how I think, however, I'm losing in the SB.. I know everone expects to lose in the blinds, so I'm trying to figure out if my numbers are normal, or if it's a big leak.

Or is it better to save the 1/2SB and not complete anything you wouldn't call in an earlier position?

This last q. pertains to the big and small blinds: Since you're 1st to act post-flop, should you be playing only hands that would be acceptable to play UTG? (assuming you're not seeing a free flop in the BB)

Warik
03-22-2004, 03:21 PM
Everybody loses in the blinds. If you look at the stat that says "$ Won w/o Blinds" as in, the amount of money you've won from the blinds position if you don't include the money you paid in blinds, THAT should be positive. Otherwise you are not only at the disadvantage of being forced to put in money, you're also making it worse for yourself.

That being said, I do play a bit looser from the SB by completing with things I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot mouse from another position (any two suited, for example).

There is still garbage that you should never play... 27o, Q3o, etc..., but plenty more playable hands that could help minimize the amount of money you lose out of the SB (but not eliminate) that are easy to throw away if the flop misses them.

TBone
03-22-2004, 03:30 PM
You will almost always lose money in the blinds since you're involuntarily putting money in there.

Considering you're already "halfway in" however, you should be a bit more loose when it's not raised to you in the SB. Many people will play much more loose than UTG such as any two suited, more non-suited connectors, etc. I don't suggest playing non-suited connectors, but definitely do loosen up when playing the SB w/ no raise.

I think one of the more difficult things when playing SB and BB for newer players is playing some of the "marginal" hands you get a free flop (or halfway free flop) post-flop. Since you have no position, check raising your vulnerable hands is much more important, etc. If you can't successfully play some of these marginal hands well out of position post-flop, try tightening up a bit in the blind(s).

T

bwana devil
03-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Regarding playing in the SB:

“You can call w/ any reasonable hand: any two suited cards, any connectors down to about 54o, any Ace, any King. Still, throw away the trash such as J2 and T4.” WLLH p50. by Jones

thirddan
03-22-2004, 11:13 PM
could someone give situations/reasons to play Ax offsuit in the SB? suppose you are play micro limit at party with players who will play any A...how do you handle Ax in the SB?

cold_cash
03-23-2004, 12:36 AM
I think it depends on exactly how low the "x" is.

Nevertheless, I never play Ax (where "x" is lower than 9) out of the small blind unless I think a late position player might be stealing. The vast majority of the time I fold A8 and A9 too, because most of the time at the tables I'm playing there are 4-5 players already in ahead of me.

This could be too tight, (playing out of the blinds is something I'm constantly trying to get better at), but I'm guessing a big problem inexperienced players such as myself run into frequently is calling a raise from the blinds with hands like this.

Even with those "any Ace" guys out there, it's tough to play these hands aggressively even when you flop top pair, even though there was no raise pre-flop. In one hand, that A6 that flops an Ace might be good, but on the next you might be beat by someone who limped w/ A8.

My post-flop skills aren't anywhere near the level they need to be at in order to make these calls profitable for me. For me personally it's just easier to wait for a better spot and avoid those uncomfortable guessing games.

TBone
03-23-2004, 12:52 AM
You should never go below A9o, even if other people are playing Ace anything. You'll wind up in situations where you flop an ace and are outkicked too many times. Continue to play ATo (w/ position) and up, and occasionally A9o. Even A9o should probably be ditched until you feel your postflop skills are up to snuff.

T