PDA

View Full Version : Analyse Roy Cooke !

45Player
03-22-2004, 01:51 PM
In the latest issue of CardPlayer magazine, Roy Cooke analyses a NL hand which he reckons was played incorrectly i.e.
http://www.cardplayer.com/?sec=afeature&art_id=13893.
The game was six-handed and the hand in question had 3 participants. The button had $4500, UTG had $3500 and MP had $2400. His friend picked up a pair of Aces on the button.
UTG flat-called the $20 blind and was called by MP. The button raised it to $140. UTG called the raise and raised another $140, making it $280 total. MP moved all in with his $2,400. The button moved all-in with his Aces, and UTG thought for a long time and folded.
Roy Cooke thought that “a much better way” of playing it would be for the button to call the MP’s all-in raise and hope that UTG would either call or reraise all-in.
I don’t think that this was a "much better" play, I would have done the same thing as the button but Mr Cooke has now planted a doubt in my mind. It's possible that he is correct, I haven't done any EV calculations.
I’d welcome some opinions on this.

limon
03-22-2004, 01:58 PM
this is one of those strange situations where i think calling w/aa is good. you want to get all in pre flop i think a call is more likely to accomplish this.

Matt Flynn
03-22-2004, 03:58 PM
You are adding $2120 to the pot with $1,100 more to come if he calls. Pot's $5020 to him. Question is what's your percent chance of winning vs. all-in alone vs. all-in plus the next guy times the raltive pot sizes. People do this with cold sims that do not take into account that other players have excellent hands when they get all in.

In this case best hand (for him) that he could reasonably call with is a pair. +EV to let him in.

Matt