PDA

View Full Version : Placed 6th in My First "Big Tourney"....Comments Please (LONG)

fsuplayer
03-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Tourney is on the Suncruz Jacksonville Ship.
$100 buy in w/ unlimited rebuys for the first hour (3rounds).
Not a big fan of rebuy tourneys myself (mainly bc with my BR I dont want to drop over $200 on a rather quick tourney.), but it is the only type of tourney in the area. The blinds move very fast in this tourney, similar to a Party sit-go.
Hand #1
Table is quite fishy and so far I have folded rag after rag.
Blinds are up to T200-T400 and I have about $3800 left from $5000.
EP calls (very tight, normally plays $10-20 games, tight, but not very aggressive)
A couple of fish limp in front of my BB. I have K /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif. Pot T1500.
Anybody move in here with this many limpers?
I figured no bc of EP's limp.
Five to the Flop.
J /images/graemlins/spade.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 10 /images/graemlins/club.gif
Sb checks, I check. EP bets T600.
Folded around to me. I ponder calling. Bc EP is tight, i dont think he is limping w/ a ten; also the bet size seemed like a feeler bet a Jack would make.
I decide to push. Questions? Comments?

Hand #2
One rotation later I am UTG with AKo. I raise to one thousand straight and get one very fishy call from LP and one semi-solid call from SB.
T3200 in the pot.
Flop: As 7c 2h
Sb checks, I check trying to trap the fish. Fish welcomes my efforts and bets T500. SB folds and I call.
Turn: Jd
I check and LP checks after looking me over.
At this point I figure that she has something she likes, but was a little worried about my smooth-call on the flop.
River: Brick.
I check again and fish bites and bets T500 again. I figure her for a med. to strong ace.
I raise to T2000.
Comments?

Hand #3
Blinds T1500-3000
My stack is T12000, about half the average at the table.
After seeing no cards for an hour and a half, it is getting crunch time.
Folded to me in the CO w/ A /images/graemlins/club.gif5 /images/graemlins/club.gif
I push in. Questions?
Hand #4
Final Eight Players. In the money, but the prize pool is kinda top heavy. I have T100000, which is just under average.(There are three huge stacks w/ 300000 or so and us smaller stacks.
Blinds T20000-40000
I post my small blind and finally pick up A /images/graemlins/spade.gif A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
WooHoo!!!
/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Talk about a sight for sore, small-stacked eyes!
Folded around to me in the SB. /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif
The BB has a shorter stack than me. I figure if I raise/push, he folds a lot a hands trying to survive. But if I call, he may push with some hands. I complete the blind.
He checks.
Flop: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/club.gif.
I check, he pushes, I call.
Comments?
Hand #5
blinds T20000-40000
Six player remaining. I have T170000. Fold to me on the button. Smaller stack is in the SB, BB is chip leader.
I have A /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif.
I freeze up and get way to paranoid that the BB may have something good. I call. (I know its awful and I hate the play)
Move in here right?
SB completes, BB checks.
Flop
K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB moves in for T55000. Pot is T120000 +55000= T195000
BB folds. T55000 on me. I have mid pair nut kicker and T130000 in my stack. There are one or two more players who have similar stacks to mine. What is your play?
I am thinking that TP would CR all in here and I call.
Comments.
BTW, the real money starts in fourth place $1200.
Sixth is $575 and fifth is $775.

I am fairly new (8 months at poker), but am having great results so far in cash games.
My tourney experience however, is limited and I would appreciate any help or comments about my plays. Thanks.
FsuPlayer

ps I will leave you with a bad beat story.
My good buddy played in the tourney and we sat next to each other for most of the night. He comes to the final table of ten with me (top nine get $). He is in the SB with T60000 after posting T10000 SB. Two callers to him and he moves in.
First caller folds, second chip leader callers the extra T50000. My buddy turns over rockets. I am pumped for him as the other guy turns over As 3s.
Flop: 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif2 /images/graemlins/club.gif2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
At this point my friend is about 98% as the only thing that beats him is runner threes or runner 45.
Turn: 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif
River: 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
He busts out on the bubble when any other river card puts him 3rd in chips. BAD BEAT...and not a fun ride home either.
Thanks for reading guys.

cferejohn
03-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Hand 1: Gutty. If he did in fact have a J that he was 'testing' with and he was indeed tight (i.e. he could fold a jack here), then I like the play alot. You have a good chance of picking up the pot, and you have outs if not. If you are pretty sure he would have checked a flopped full-house, then the push becomes that much better.

Hand 2: 3 handed when I flop TP/TK I'm probably betting out. If 'fishy' tends to be aggressive, I might make a smallish bet hoping he would come over the top with a weaker ace (putting you on a medium-high PP. Once he bets the flop, and the SB folds, I like slowing down. He is, in all probability, drawing to three outs.

Hand 3: You are desperate here. I'm pushing from the CO with any A or any pair, at least. I agree with the A5s push, obviously.

Hand 4: Hmm. I can count on one hand the number of times I've limped preflop with AA anywhere other than heads-up, but this seems like a good time to do it (especially since you effectively are heads up). With these blind/stack sizes, the BB is generally going to push on the flop with any pair and possibly even less.

Hand 5: Push pre-flop, but you knew that. Any idea of SBs play? Some players would never push less than TP here. Personally, 3 handed I push TP here preflop (the pot is big enough now). Given the lack of draws out (i.e. it is unlikely that SB is pushing with a draw), unless I think SB is the sort of player who would be super-aggressive post flop 3-handed, I fold. I'm almost sure he's on a K with a so/so kicker.

fsuplayer
03-22-2004, 08:35 PM
Hand #1
Rock folds. I exhale.
Hand #2
Fish was loose, very passive, very pretty lady. Thats why I didnt think the smallish teaser bet would work with her. If the SB calls her bet, I raise it up or move in there. Thinking about it, I would have probably made just as many chips betting out the whole way instead of getting cute.

Hand #3 Better lucky than good.
I moved in for my last T12000.
Button moves in over the top all-in and BB calls all in. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif
Button:K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif
BB:J /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Well, I have a 30% chance says two dimes...now to the flop.
6 /images/graemlins/spade.gif7 /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif (I am 42% now with my A5clubs!)
Turn: 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif
River:Q /images/graemlins/club.gif Nut flush. Take it down! /images/graemlins/grin.gif
Nothing like a good Tourney suckout!
Hand #4
BB moved in with nothing but an overcard (K8o)
No nightmares on the turn or river. I take it down.
Hand #5 Should'a pushed.
Called the bet, he had K6o. No miracles for me.
I am down to T69000 short stack at the table.
Next hand, folded to me in the cutoff, I move in with Q /images/graemlins/club.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif
Button folds Chip Leader in SB calls, BB folds.
He has A10o
Flop: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 10 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Turn: 10 /images/graemlins/spade.gif and a dagger through the heart.
No help on the river and I am sent packing.
Turned $100 into $575 (and picked up another $100 in a juicy $4-8 game afterwards). Not too bad for my first big live tourney.
Thanks for the comments guys and any additional advice you have.

cferejohn
03-22-2004, 08:49 PM
You don't say what she had in hand 2. I assume your 'weaker ace' read proved to be correct...

Congrats on the final table finish, by the way. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

fsuplayer
03-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Thanks John.
She had A9o BTW.
It will be the first of many hopefully!
FsuPlayer