PDA

View Full Version : Mini blinds ....( I am not discussing window treatments)

thedudeoflife
03-22-2004, 11:33 AM
I was curious if anyone here has had a lot of experience playing in limit HE games with mini blinds. For example there is a 4/8 HE game at UB (Annie Duke's table). The blinds are 1 and 2 but after that the game is 4/8. What are the nuances with this blind structure ? I think it might benefit an extremely tight aggressive playing style, because losses do to the habitual folding of the mandatory blinds with weaker starting hands will be somewhat mitigated by the higher limits when you decide to play. Also has anyone ever played in a game without blinds or an ante and how do you think such a game would play out with different player mixtures? I was looking at my p&l for each table position. The small blind has by far been the worst. (4,000 total hands in sample).

LetsRock
03-22-2004, 11:59 AM
I've never seen this structure - do you have to complete to $4 to limp in or just match the BB? Making it a 2/4/8/8 game?

If so, I would think that exactly the opposite is true. You're getting great implied odds by seeing many more flops with lesser starting hands. If you miss the flop, it's easy to get away and if you hit the flop you should get a great return on your small risk.

If you have to complete to $4 to limp in, then it's just a normal game outside the blinds and you'd see far fewer hands from the blinds because now it costs too much to defend your blinds from terrible position.

Dynasty
03-22-2004, 05:53 PM
Look for hands in the Small Stakes forum that were played in Las Vegas. The 4-8 games at Mandalay Bay, Luxor, Excalibur, Monte Carlo, Flamingo, and Palms all use the $1 and $2 blidn structure. There are also several threads which discuss just the structure.

Basically, you should be seeing more flops for $2 in this game.

spamuell
03-22-2004, 06:07 PM
There are two sides of the argument when playing these games that I can think of:

1. Poker is a fight for the antes (blinds). With you putting less money in the pot each orbit, you can afford to tighen up significantly and still profit and playing some more hands won't be as profitable because there is less money to win. So play less hands.

2. With a big blind of $2 but a bet after the flop of double that and on the river of four times that, your implied odds are huge. Limp in with hands that can flop big like suited connectors, Axs and probably down to around Qxs. So play more hands.

So one the one hand, play less hands, but on the other, play more hands. I'm confused... can someone help?