PDA

View Full Version : Me, aggressive? You gotta be kidding

Justaloser
03-22-2004, 09:56 AM
EDIT** I forgot to mention, this was a tight table. Usually, only one or two players outside the blinds.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12.25 BB, between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (12.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB doesn't show.
Hero shows Td Qc (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 12.25 BB. </font>Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (4.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: 12.25 BB, between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (12.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 9d 6d (two pair, queens and nines).
Hero shows Td Qc (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 12.25 BB. </font>

bunky9590
03-22-2004, 10:02 AM
You must have a good pattern Map! /images/graemlins/confused.gif
I dislike the raise there and I'm more aggressive than the next guy. If its suited, have at it, but even then its marginal. rest of the hand played fine, except I three bet the turn. but worked out the same either way. Nice job.

Justaloser
03-22-2004, 10:24 AM
I dislike the raise there and I'm more aggressive than the next guy. If its suited, have at it, but even then its marginal.

Which raise? The preflop?

My thought process was this... I felt that I had a tight table image and since the table was playing tight/passive, it was a chance to try and steal the blinds.
If I missed the flop, I was gone.

His action on the flop suggested to me either an overpair or Qx (obviously I was wrong, but still). I was planning to shut down on the turn, unless I got a Q or T.

I didn't three bet the turn because I felt that if I did, I wouldn't get any bets on the river.

bunky9590
03-22-2004, 10:29 AM
I hated the PREFLOP RAISE.

Marginal at best. If it was suited fine.

rest of the hand played very well.

Rico Suave
03-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Hey Justaloser:

[ QUOTE ]
it was a chance to try and steal the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

You raise a limper here so your chance of "stealing" without a flop are next to nil.

FWIW, I probably would not do this here, but I do not think it is awful, especially if UTG+2 plays any 2.

--Rico

Justaloser
03-22-2004, 10:45 AM
You raise a limper here so your chance of "stealing" without a flop are next to nil.

Not necessarily. At a tight table, you often can win the pot on the flop too. You're preflop aggression implies strength. Now if you bet the flop, you combined aggression will cause passive players to release marginal hands.

FWIW, I probably would not do this here, but I do not think it is awful, especially if UTG+2 plays any 2.

Actually, I can't remember ever doing it before.

Trix
03-22-2004, 11:08 AM
I like it if limper is loose and blinds are tight.
I would also 3bet the turn.

TBone
03-22-2004, 12:34 PM
I've won many a pot by raising one limper, getting the blinds out, and betting the flop regardless of if I hit or not. Showing the aggression pre-flop implies you have a decent hand and unless the flop hits the player(s) left in the pot, you can likely take it down with a bet on the flop. I wouldn't get in the habit of doing this sort of thing at a table though as people may catch on and it could wind up costing you.

T

Justaloser
03-22-2004, 02:29 PM
I wouldn't get in the habit of doing this sort of thing at a table though as people may catch on and it could wind up costing you.

I agree. Once or twice in a session should be enough. The extra advantage is that if you get called down, now everyone thinks that you're a maniac and will call you down the rest of the night with second pair /images/graemlins/grin.gif