PDA

View Full Version : NL $50 party - would you lose your entire stack?

BlueBear
03-22-2004, 09:40 AM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (9 handed)

MP2 ($49)
MP3 ($105.80)
CO ($26.35)
Button ($22.50)
SB ($21.30)
BB ($211.70)
UTG ($132.95)
BlueBear ($56.15)
MP1 ($75.20)

Preflop: BlueBear is UTG+1 with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, BlueBear calls $1, MP1 calls $1, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls $1, SB folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($4.50) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, BlueBear checks, MP1 bets $1, Button folds, BB folds, BlueBear raises to $5, MP1 raises to $9, BlueBear calls $4.

Turn: ($22.50) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BlueBear bets $15, MP1 raises to $65, BlueBear calls $31.15 (All-In).

River: ($133.65) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $133.65

Results below:
BlueBear shows 9h 9c (three of a kind, nines).
MP1 shows Th Js (straight, king high).
Outcome: MP1 wins $133.65.

Ok, my question is, where did I go? Is there any way I can possibly get out off it? I am very unsure whether my final flop call of $9 was incorrect and maybe I should have just pushed it all in on the flop instead of being tricky by leading on the turn...

I have a feeling that everybody will loose their entire stack in this situation but am interested of anybody's opinion on how I've played this hand.

crockpot
03-22-2004, 12:49 PM
this type of hand is pretty annoying. the min bet followed by a min-reraise of your check-raise is a big power play and should be respected. however, in addition to the straight or a bigger set, he could be on two pair.

first, question the player. is he the type to always raise preflop with QQ or KK? if you can rule out a bigger set, i prefer going all-in on the flop, unless you think he would only bet this way with the nuts. you are well ahead or behind with a decent EV, and you will get a call either way. if this guy might limp with the big pairs, or is the type who loves to min-raise with his huge hands so you won't get scared off (and there are a lot of these players), you have a tougher decision.

i don't see much point to your plan of calling the flop and betting out the turn, unless you've seen this guy play the flop crazily with drawing hands before. (or he likes to bet strongly on the flop and then give up on the turn.) he will bet the turn anyway, so why not let him and make your decision then? if you weren't planning to fold to an all-in raise, clearly you weren't betting for information.

scrub
03-22-2004, 01:11 PM
I'd drop a stack, but I'd get in on the flop--you should too. Make a decent sized raise there--it's an unraised pot so you shouldn't be worried about getting beat set over set unless this guy consistently limps his big pockets and minbets/minraises his monsters on the flop. If he's got a straight he's got a straight, but with stacks this short, you're just going to have to shove them in there.

scrub