PDA

View Full Version : I seem to be having a lot of these kind of sessions lately

JSD
03-22-2004, 05:27 AM
Party $.50/$1 (all stats from the Party stats window)
60 hands so far
Hands Won: 8%
Showdowns Won: 66%
Flops Seen: 26%
Win% if Flops Seen: 31%

Sounds pretty good right? I've gotten decent hole cards so far. A few small PPs I've limped with. A few Axs to limp with. Limped in MP with QJs twice. AKo twice, KK, AQo, TT all for PF raises. 8% of hands won and 31% WWSF is better than my average.

Results: down 15BB.

Okay, its a tiny tiny sample. The point is not THIS particular sample. I swear it feels like many of my sessions have been this way lately. The hands I'm winning are tiny pots and the hands I'm losing are sizable. Exactly the opposite of what one wants.

Back in my old weak-tight days, this was almost never the case. If I was winning 30+% WSF, I was most certainly ahead. I wasn't playing marginal flops, period. AKo flops garbage, I'm folding to a bet. Now that I'm playing much more aggressively post-flop, I've noticed this trend where I'm more likely to have streaks like this - the numbers look good, but the results are bad. Sure I'm folding people out with my aggression and picking up a few small pots with overcards and underpairs and whatnot, but I also feel like I'm losing a lot more when I don't hit.

Anyone else notice similar results in their transition from passive weak-tight to aggressive?

JSD
03-22-2004, 05:32 AM
Just re-read the post and realized that it sounds like I'm whining. I'm honestly not. 20 hands later, my stats are about the same, but I'm +5BB due to two good hands: QTo in the BB flopping top two and QQ flopping a set.

The serious (and I suppose somewhat rhetorical) question I'm posing is: does playing more aggressively increase your variance? Statistically speaking, should I expect the standard deviation on my BB/100 to be higher?

siccjay
03-22-2004, 05:36 AM
Overcards aren't quite as strong at low limits because it's more than likely the flop has hit someone and they are calling you down no matter what. You just can't scare them out of pots when they have middle or bottom pairs. They don't think enough to realize you raised preflop and are raising again.