PDA

View Full Version : Blind stealer needs help

03-30-2002, 02:48 AM
I'm on the button, I want to pick up the blinds.

Let's pretend I'm tight and only want to raise with the BEST hand. Can anyone tell me the range of hands that are statistically favorites to hold up against the two random blind hands? Obviously you don't always need the best hand here, but I would like to know just the same.

Also, how about the cutoff, against 3 random hands?

03-30-2002, 07:50 PM
You really don't need to steal the blinds very often at the lower limits. Just wait for good cards in these situations and play em hard. Mason states in one of the Essay books that attempting to steal too often is a common mistake for many players.

04-03-2002, 11:42 AM
IMO the only reason to steal a blind is to set someone up for the kill. And even then, I'd be carefull. The payoff is way too small 1.5. If you really want to steal pots try stealing a four flush board, paired board on the turn, paired board on the flop. Soooo many way more profitable steals to try.

If you're going to set someone up I would try and steal with a small pocket pair, small suited connector from the SB or Button. Remember you want to take this down on the flop and get caught. But this as it is an investment, so don't waste money on the turn/river unless you have to. And a fold, is admitting you've been caught.

Once you get caught only raise with JJ, QQ, KK, AA. Then watch the money roll in. That is much more profitable. BTW, at the low limits a blind steal with a big pocket pair is very profitable. And if you lose you don't feel like a smuck because you didn't raise pre-flop.