PDA

View Full Version : Hand that busted me out - Did I Play This Right?

DanTheCardMan
03-21-2004, 11:29 PM
My 4th ever multi-table (5+1), first time in the money, I finished 49th out of 1472. I played VERY well, if I may say so. I allowed one over-riding principle guide my decisions: the size of the pot. Because of a huge pot early in the tourney I called bets from 2 preflop raisers (both of whom I was reading as fish who would raise with any ace) with 98s from the BB when the flop came K86r. Ended up they both had weak aces and I took the pot(~T4000) which more than doubled my stack.

I feel like most of the decisions I made were right. The only egregious mistake I made is when I was T9000, it was folded to me on the button holding 7/images/graemlins/club.gif5/images/graemlins/club.gif, I raised to steal and was re-raised by T1900 all-in. I called and he had 88. Flop didn't help and I went down to T7000.

Anyway, the hand that busted me out:

Blinds are 1500/3000. Folded to T65000 (solid player) in MP+2 and he calls. I'm ~T24000 in the CO with AKo and make it 6000 to go. He calls. Flop comes Kxx where the xx were clubs. MP+2 bets T3000, which seeing his skill level I'd expect him to be betting on the come. I raise to T6000 and he calls again. I'm pretty sure he's on a flush draw, althogh 2pr isn't out of my mind either. Turn card is a blank. He bets 3000 and I decide he's definitely on the flush draw my Kings are good. I go all-in. River is a club and he shows J/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif to take the pot.

The only real question I have is whether I should have tried to take the pot down on the flop or whether the raise to T6000 on the flop was good. Like I said, until he called me on the flop, I hadn't fully put 2pr out of my head. I'm not really fretting this decision, as I was right and I got my money and his into the pot when I had the best of it. I'm just wondering if I'd gone all-in on the flop if he'd have folded. We'll never know.

Nick B.
03-22-2004, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like most of the decisions I made were right. The only egregious mistake I made is when I was T9000, it was folded to me on the button holding 75, I raised to steal and was re-raised by T1900 all-in. I called and he had 88. Flop didn't help and I went down to T7000.

[/ QUOTE ]
How much did you raise, what were the blinds?

[ QUOTE ]
Blinds are 1500/3000. Folded to T65000 (solid player) in MP+2 and he calls. I'm ~T24000 in the CO with AKo and make it 6000 to go. He calls. Flop comes Kxx where the xx were clubs. MP+2 bets T3000, which seeing his skill level I'd expect him to be betting on the come. I raise to T6000 and he calls again. I'm pretty sure he's on a flush draw, althogh 2pr isn't out of my mind either. Turn card is a blank. He bets 3000 and I decide he's definitely on the flush draw my Kings are good. I go all-in. River is a club and he shows J8 to take the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this limit or no limit?

45Player
03-22-2004, 07:15 AM
You played your hand far too weakly before and after the flop and were asking to get busted. Pre-flop you raised by 3000. This was far too small a raise. There is 13500 in the pot at this stage and all your opponent has to do is call another 3000. That was a very easy call for him. Then on the flop you raise him by 3000 again. There is 25500 in the pot and all he has to do is call another 3000 ! Going all in on the turn was too late although it was the only play at that stage.
You should have gone all-in preflop. There was 7500 in the pot at that point which represents about 30% of your stack. You should have tried to pick that up. Your opponent cannot call an all-in unless he has a strong hand and he’s unlikely to have anything very strong when he limped. You could also have raised to 12000 pre-flop and bet the rest on the flop but I would be more inclined to go all in pre-flop. On the flop you should definitely have gone all-in. There is 19500 in the pot after your opponents bet. You have 18000 left. Go all in and put him in the hot seat.
By the way, how could you possibly put your opponent on 2 pair ?. You said the flop was Kxx, Unless the xx was something like 98 then there is no way in which he can have 2 pair.
After you play a few more tournaments you will look back on this hand and wonder what you were doing. Hope I wasn't too harsh sounding. You did well to come in the money.

Bigwig
03-22-2004, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You played your hand far too weakly before and after the flop and were asking to get busted. Pre-flop you raised by 3000. This was far too small a raise. There is 13500 in the pot at this stage and all your opponent has to do is call another 3000. That was a very easy call for him. Then on the flop you raise him by 3000 again. There is 25500 in the pot and all he has to do is call another 3000 ! Going all in on the turn was too late although it was the only play at that stage.
You should have gone all-in preflop. There was 7500 in the pot at that point which represents about 30% of your stack. You should have tried to pick that up. Your opponent cannot call an all-in unless he has a strong hand and he’s unlikely to have anything very strong when he limped. You could also have raised to 12000 pre-flop and bet the rest on the flop but I would be more inclined to go all in pre-flop. On the flop you should definitely have gone all-in. There is 19500 in the pot after your opponents bet. You have 18000 left. Go all in and put him in the hot seat.
By the way, how could you possibly put your opponent on 2 pair ?. You said the flop was Kxx, Unless the xx was something like 98 then there is no way in which he can have 2 pair.
After you play a few more tournaments you will look back on this hand and wonder what you were doing. Hope I wasn't too harsh sounding. You did well to come in the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with 45 player. Preflop I would've made it 13,000 to go (size of the pot), and since you had 24,000 chips, and about 8XBB, I'dve gone all-in. Make them make a bad call then. Even if you didn't go all-in pre-flop, you should have gone all-in after the flop.

Nick B.
03-22-2004, 03:51 PM
From the looks of the post, it appears to be a limit tournament. This obviously would affect his decisions.

fsuplayer
03-22-2004, 04:00 PM
The last line of his post seems to indicate a No Limit Event.
BTW, Raise more preflop and go all in on the flop.
Probably all in preflop is the best play. You are happy taking that T13000 that is already in the pot with your hand.