PDA

View Full Version : 1st hand post. Opponent doesn't like his big hand

Soggy Salmon
03-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Howdy. First I just want to say thanks for this great forum and to everyone who takes the time to help.

Okay, I am still very much a beginner. I have a lot of trouble with my post-flop play. But there is one thing in particular that bugs me. It happens very often and I don't know what to do about it. Here's an example:

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (9 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls.

River: (9.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jd Ac (one pair, jacks).
SB shows Kh Kd (three of a kind, kings).
Outcome: SB wins 11.50 BB. </font>

I figure I played this very badly, probably starting with calling his pre-flop raise. But I can't figure out what he is thinking here. On this board, maybe he is worried about the flush, but it has happened to me other times just like this where the board wasn't scary. I will make a raise, and they just start calling, even when they have great hands. What to do?

Tosh
03-21-2004, 09:02 PM
Pre-flop: Raise.

Post-flop: I think you played well.

ThePopinjay
03-21-2004, 09:04 PM
only thing I'd change is raising preflop. otherwise you played it the same way i'd play it. there was nothing you could do. you have to go through hands like this, it's inevitable in poker. look at it this way, since he completely misplayed and didn't take you for more $, be happy since that means on the hands you win, you'll more net because he didn't take you for more

TheRake
03-21-2004, 09:09 PM
Soggy Salmon,

This looks fine. Your opponent played this horribly. Don't be so hard on yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
...probably starting with calling his pre-flop raise

[/ QUOTE ]

It is rarely correct to fold after you have already entered the pot for one more bet. This hand is no exception.

TheRake

jrobb83
03-21-2004, 09:11 PM
Your post-flop play here looks fine. You will run into weak-tights that will go into check-call mode with good hands after being raised, but you will get called down by worse hands there so often it's profitable to bet the whole way. Many times you'll be shown a mid pocket pair, or something like KJ or QJ. Keep on betting.

I hate AJo, and often fold it in early position. But once you've limped, calling one more bet to see the flop is certaintly correct.

rjc199
03-21-2004, 10:04 PM
will you raise AJo in EP?

Does this work?

Soggy Salmon
03-21-2004, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the replies. Well that makes me feel better, then. I just start feeling a bit silly when it seems like I am doing all the betting for these guys. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tosh
03-21-2004, 10:19 PM
I will raise AJo UTG more often than not. AJo after a fold and at an 8 handed table is an easy raise.

JrJordan
03-21-2004, 11:52 PM
I dunno, I've always been used to mucking AJo from EP, too easy to be dominated when a raise comes. I've never really considered raising the hand in the first place though. Maybe one of the experts has a say on this. Why is raising a good idea here?

GlobalMegaCorp
03-21-2004, 11:54 PM
I think you played this well, it just happens sometimes. Thank your opponent for not taking you for even more money.. I mean, Christ, I lost three hands last night where people limped in with AA and KK refused to raise, even if they made a set.

GuyOnTilt
03-22-2004, 12:16 AM
I dunno, I've always been used to mucking AJo from EP, too easy to be dominated when a raise comes.

At micro tables, raises usually don't come. It's fine to muck it in a semi-tough, reasonably aggressive table UTG, but that does not apply to this hand. Our hero was UTG+1 at an 8-handed table and UTG folded. This should be an auto-raise every single time, even at a tough table. AJo four off the Button is a raise, especially after no limpers.

I've never really considered raising the hand in the first place though.

You should. Does this mean you usually limp first in from MP with it? That would be bad.

Maybe one of the experts has a say on this.

Tosh is a good player and poster. If he's giving advice in the Micro forum, take it.

GoT