PDA

View Full Version : How to play this type of hand?

kingstalker
03-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Paradise 10+0 Omaha High
Blinds 75/150
I have 6300 in chips in EP
I am dealt /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ
I limp,MP raises to 300 ,two callers,I call
Flop is
/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif3
I have middle trips and a inside straight draw
I bet the pot,MP calls,LP calls all in
Turn /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ I catch my straight and now bet all in,Mp calls
MP has AAxx(no club) and doesnt make his full house and LP misses his club flush on the river,I was actually considering folding this hand on the flop if MP re raised me because I figured he would have to trip aces to re raise, what is the best way to play middle set when a Ace is on the flop and there was a raise before the flop?

Buzz
03-22-2004, 07:10 AM
Kingstalker - When I'm in a game where I can read my opponents, I do fine. When I'm in a game where I can't read them, I'm at the mercy of luck - sometimes it swings my way but more often it doesn't. You might think luck should be a fifty fifty proposition, but the problem is, when you're not reading your opponents, perhaps they're reading you. Scary, huh?

Therefore, the secret of winning, in my humble opinion, is making sure you're seated at a table where you can read your opponents well, and acting appropriately on your reads. At least that's how it works for me.

The advantage of being able to read your opponents is you know when to bet and when to fold. But not if you don't act on the information.

If your opponent does indeed have a pair of aces for the pre-flop raise, your flopped set of queens is more of a liability than an asset.

Suppose you had the same hand, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif but the flop was

A/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif.

In this case you wouldn't have the set of queens to confuse you. Would you take another card off after this flop?

If your answer is no, then I think you should fold to a bet on the second betting round - because if your opponent has a pair of aces and has flopped a set, your hand/flop is the equivalent of this.

As it turns out, you got lucky on the turn and connected on your inside straight draw. Then you got lucky again on the river when the board neither paired, flushed, nor counterfeited a card in your hand (which might enable another ace high straight for an opponent, resulting in a split pot).

If you felt certain the opponent who raised has a pair of aces, it's hard to figure your odds exactly, but I think they're somewhere in the neighborhood of about twenty to one against you.

You always can get lucky and beat the odds, as you did here, but in the long run I think you do better by betting when the odds are on your side and folding when they're not.

The key here is knowing an opponent has a pair of aces. I remember going through a phase where I would correctly put an opponent on a hand, but then disregard my read, hoping the opponent was bluffing. I think I have corrected that leak in my game. I advise you to do the same.

Buzz