PDA

View Full Version : Tilt Busting

08-19-2002, 04:33 PM
I was playing in a card room last week, where the bad beat had been going long enough for Aces over sevens to qualify after a run of pre flop raising with hole Kings three players remain AA9 flop comes up, I figure I am probably beat but stay in after a J turn the river brings a third ace. I raise player calls and the button rerasies everyone calls and the button shows an A2 offsuit beating my kings and the other players queens. and costing the table about 17 thousand. Ever since then I have been blowing through rack of chips, mostly because of poor play. Should I just take some time off to regroup or is there any good ways to break the cycle of playing like a jackass.

Thanks

08-19-2002, 06:42 PM
There is only one way to cure this. You have to take a week off and do nothing poker related. Then, when your week is over, the next week you should only study and not play. Take it from me, I have experience.

Ryan

08-19-2002, 08:45 PM
I agree with Ryan.

However, I must add that you are WAY ahead of the typical player on tilt. Why?

Because you realize you're playing like a jackass. Most tilted people don't. They moan, whine, and complain about other people, but never look at themselves.

Take some time off. Chill out. Do some studying. Talk to some people about what happened, what it means, and how you're going to prevent its recurrence.

Then come back and kick ass.

Al

08-19-2002, 10:20 PM
"Ever since then, I have been blowing thru racks of chips, mostly because of poor play."

And I'm here to remind you that you have been playing poorly because you haven't so far been able to get over what has happened. It is perfectly okay to feel bad about what had happened (You would probably be mentally ill if you never felt bad about it).

And it is even more okay to separate that past incident from all of your current and future plays and sessions. LJ, everytime you find yourself reliving that past incident in your mind, simply step right through it and leave it behind you for good. And as you do, confidently focus your attention on playing the current hand well.

08-20-2002, 07:51 AM
Al,

Your response to LJ reminded me of a close friend with whom I've played many a session, though much less often in recent years.

His attitude, at the card table, and, not really surprisingly in life too swings between: nothing I do is ever wrong, or I can't ever put a foot right. Of course, accepting the slightest criticism is out of the question. I've long since given up any hope of trying to talk him out of his attitudes towards cards and life and just take him as he comes.

perfidious

08-20-2002, 11:30 AM
I know this was not the point of the post, but why did that hand not qualify for the badbeat jackpot?

quads beat aces-full, right?

-shaniac

08-20-2002, 12:40 PM
The winning player had 4 aces with his kicker being the Jack on the board not the 2 in his hand. Most jackpots have this requirement however I do not see why LJ is upset. I do not see how they could have won the jackpot the way the cards layed unless they expect the player with top set to fold on the turn. Perhaps they thought he should be able to read their minds and realize they both had pocket pairs large enough to qualify for the JP.

Jimbo

08-20-2002, 04:36 PM
Take two weeks off...then quit altogether..

08-21-2002, 03:16 AM
BUT ONLY if LJ can't kick the habit of dwelling on past bad experiences!

I believe Al mentioned the idea of having an "emotinal bankroll" in order to be a successful player.

LJ's reaction seems to be related to this idea.

happy pokering,

Sitting Bull