PDA

View Full Version : Online, micro-limit NL question

greenage
03-21-2004, 06:50 PM
I played my first session of micro-limit NL the other day. I had no idea what I was doing so I watched the other players and made up a strategy as I went along.

Anyway, one situation I found myself in a lot was flopping TPGK or two pair when the board contained a 2-flush and sometimes also a straight draw. There were two or three opponents in these hands so I would bet the pot and everyone would fold. The pots I won ended up being relatively small and I couldn’t help but think I could have made more if I had been willing to risk giving a cheap turn card.

Any opinions on how to handle this?

Thank you in advance.

Webster
03-22-2004, 12:28 AM
1. Play REAL poker - Limit
2. If you want to make money - don't bet the pot unless there is something IN the pot. No body is going to go out on a lime for practably nothing.

I think this is a HUGE flaw in NL and PL players, They seem to of all in because it happens on TV. The people on TV play a totally different game then a ring game. They are playing a tournament which is way way different.

I'm not a PL OR NL player except torunaments - however, my feeling is you feel you have the best hand you nad to intice people to put $$ into the pot 1st. You have to trap them.

My feeling is bettin the pot is when you want to win the pot RIGHT NOW! The pot odds are not that great for calling if the pot is small.

blackaces13
03-22-2004, 03:48 AM
When you flop TPGK you do want to win the pot right now, at least I do.

darryl2172
03-22-2004, 03:03 PM
its always better to win a small pot,than too loose a big pot. Alot of players will try and trap in this situation,however you run the risk of being outdrawn. I would always take the win even if its a small one, I think the way you are playing your hands is correct.

Acesover8s
03-22-2004, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. Play REAL poker - Limit
2. If you want to make money - don't bet the pot unless there is something IN the pot. No body is going to go out on a lime for practably nothing.

I think this is a HUGE flaw in NL and PL players, They seem to of all in because it happens on TV. The people on TV play a totally different game then a ring game. They are playing a tournament which is way way different.

I'm not a PL OR NL player except torunaments - however, my feeling is you feel you have the best hand you nad to intice people to put $$ into the pot 1st. You have to trap them.

My feeling is bettin the pot is when you want to win the pot RIGHT NOW! The pot odds are not that great for calling if the pot is small.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I nominate this post for troll of the month.

To the original poster check out the PL/NL forum for good answers to your query.

Webster
03-23-2004, 12:02 AM
LOL - perhaps that is why I never play ring NL or PL. AND why I should never type before spelling checking.

However . . . .In micro tournaments ($30 or less buy ins) I am in the money 39% of the time so I MIGHT have a clue.

I will apoligize for the spelling - however I'll stand by my statements and tell which ones are wrong.

I do agree that a SMALL win is better then a loss but - again - I play tournaments and small wins are worthless! It is better to not LOSE then to win small,