PDA

View Full Version : AA too aggresive in kill pot?

harboral
03-21-2004, 02:57 PM
Live $6-12 game with a full kill. It's a kill pot and I am in MP with the killer to my right. Most players are weak/passive, most will call a raise preflop with your average Ace hand or any face card with a 9 or T.

UTG raises (better player, med. tight/agg.) and I reraise to $24 with AA. Everybody folds to the Killer who calls, then the raiser who calls.

Flop comes A J J

Check, check, I bet - called by the better player and the killer folds.

Turn Q - check, I bet - call.

River J - check, I bet - call. Caller shows pocket Tens, I drag a medium pot.............

Question is, should I have just called the $12 preflop hoping to reraise? I'd have never asked, but player to my left had JTs and would have called $12, but not $24.........so I played the way I usually do - but its also a Jackpot game - $15k and I lose $7500 by not letting him get in there and make quads.

Does anybody play this any different with the Jackpot?

I know this seems simple to many of you, but I don't usually play games with a kill.

Thanks, AL

Barry
03-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Letting the presence of a jackpot effect your play is generally a bad idea, especially PF.

I suppose that it depends on the house rules, but at most places that wouldn't have been a jackpot as both hole cards need to play and his kicker didn't play here.

Garland
03-21-2004, 03:26 PM
I think you're letting results affect your decisions. Of course if you knew that you were going to flop Aces full of Jacks, you'd just want to call and hope everyone in the world comes with you. But this is pre-flop land, where the uncertainties of the future will make you want to protect your AA in its best interests. You want to raise to cut down the number of opponents from 1 to 2 (maybe 3). It doesn't matter if it's a kill pot or whatever. You got the result you wanted (2 opponents), and you won the pot with a full house. Repeat steps 1-3 as necessary.

As for jackpot considerations, it's so nominal that a bad beat would occur that you shouldn't really let it affect your decisions.

Garland

Diplomat
03-21-2004, 03:31 PM
I think if the flop was JJx instead of JJA you would be wondering why you did not three-bet.

In general, I play kill pots about the same as a normal pot. The exception, of course, is that you should make adjustments based on how your opponents are adjusting...if your opponents play weak/tight or whatever in a kill pot, adjust accordingly.

-Diplomat