PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Queens versus UTG PF raise, and a smelly set-up.....

Gomez22
03-21-2004, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.stompandcrush.com/cgi-bin/hhparser.cgi)

SB ($33.25)
BB ($49.80)
UTG ($63)
UTG+1 ($3.55)
Gomez22 ($80.20)
MP2 ($15.60)
MP3 ($7.50)
CO ($50.10)
Button ($32)

Preflop: Gomez22 is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $2.5</font>, UTG+1 calls $2.50, Gomez22 calls $2.50, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls $2.50, SB folds, BB calls $2.

Flop: ($12.75) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $4</font>, UTG+1 folds, Gomez22 calls $4, Button folds, BB folds.

Turn: ($20.75) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Gomez22 bets $5</font>, UTG calls $5.

River: ($30.75) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Gomez22 bets $5</font>, UTG calls $5.

Final Pot: $40.75
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $40.75, between UTG and Gomez22.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Gomez22 ($40.75).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
UTG shows Ac Kh (one pair, kings).
Gomez22 shows Qd Qc (straight, king high).
Outcome: Gomez22 wins $40.75. </font>

OK - Maybe I coulda bet more on the river, right? Up to this point, UTG had been seemingly quite solid, and I couldn't tell whether this was a set-up by him or weakness, so I played a little sissy-fied. Thoughts on this hand since I had no real idea wht to put him on. I was leaning (on the turn of either AK or AQ, and figured AQ wasn't very likely since I had 2 queens, but I didn't want to overbet the river and chase him off).

bunky9590
03-21-2004, 12:54 PM
I like a bet of about half the pot on the turn rather than $5.00 after he checks to you.

River would be the same half pot bet and he would probably pay off with the AK. (at the 50NL level anyway)

turnipmonster
03-21-2004, 02:58 PM
I disagree with every street!

PF: by calling, you're deciding pretty much to play for a set by not reraising.

flop: you've now got an overpair, which is of somewhat dubious value against UTG. however, you have bad position relative to the raiser. UTG makes a weak bet that prices in any straight/flush draw, and instead of raising to protect your overpair you give everyone cheap odds to draw out by calling what looks like a weak bet.

turn: now you have a one card straight draw that might be good, and are likely up against AK, but possibly AA,KK or AJ AQ or something. so you bet 1/4 of the pot?

river: now you bet $5 into a $40 pot? what are you going to do if you get raised? you have a straight, and it is unlikely that he has one, but it is a hell of a situation to put yourself in.

I am just not a fan of these small bets that beg to be raised by anything, because you are going to feel sick if he pushes on you, which a good player will do if he senses weakness.

also, what if a Q comes on the river, and he pushes?

--turnipmonster

Gomez22
03-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Yeah... I'm not real happy with this play either... usually, I figure to have the best hand or draw and bet it around pot-size. Here, I had no clue where I was, and thought I was being set-up, hence my probing bets.

Pot-size on the turn would have been much more appropriate here, considering the OESD and overpair I had.... I had been playing well this session, this was the only hand I played where I felt "out of control".

I only called the PF raise because the player left to act behind me that called the PF raise also was the type to push and gamble it up in order to pick up the bets out there. He was the one that I was worried about pre-flop, as it wouldn't have been a stetch for him to play mondo-aggressive.

wontons
03-21-2004, 06:29 PM
you say you were afraid another player was gonna gamble and possibly push all in preflop then what would you do fold your QQ to a player who could have ANYTHING bc he/she likes to gambler so your goign to throw out the 3 best hand possible?

me454555
03-21-2004, 06:29 PM
PF: reraise, QQ is a great starting hand and you get to find out where you are right away if he comes over the top of you

Flop: Raise to protect your hand
Turn: Given your play of passively calling, I dont think hes trying to trap you. At this time, I'd rule out AA and KK and put him on some sort of draw most likely AK. This is the time to make a pot size bet.
River: Good time to go for a checkraise.

Gomez22
03-21-2004, 08:20 PM
Knowing when to do what is my problem in NL games so far. I thought by playing somewhat weak, I was playing smart, but on the river, I had no idea what to bet to get him to call....