PDA

View Full Version : At what point should I have backed off?

Dieter01
03-21-2004, 06:31 AM
I was playing the 3-6 table at the Mirage this week. The following play happened, and I am not to happy about my own performance...

The dealer gives me Q /images/graemlins/heart.gif 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, I am on the BB. 5 players call, button raises and I decide to call to. Everyone calls and the flop comes J,10,9 of 3 different suits.

I got lucky after what was probably a bad decision to see the flop in the first place... I am UTG as the SB folded. I don't want anyone who might be drawing for a higher straight to get free cards so I start off betting. One MP calls, button raises. The guy who is MP is your typical calling station, he has played way to many hands the whole time he has been at the table and his chips are bleeding away. The button however has played well. I decide to re-raise, figuring that she might have a high pair that could turn into a nut straight, or three of a kind. Of course there is also teh chance that she has the nut straight... MP calls cold as he has done all evening, and button raise me again. Both of us call. The turn comes 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. I bet, MP calls, button raise, I re-reraise, MP calls again, button raise. Now I am worried... Could I be up against a better straight? I call, as does MP. River comes 4 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. There are no flsuh possibilities, but the 4 paired up the table and I am pretty sure I am beaten. I check, MP bets and button raises. I fold, MP raises and button calls.

MP had three of a kind from the flop, and the 4's gave him a full house. Button did indeed have the better straight with a KQo, but looses the hand to the full house.

Anyways... I was so unhappy about the way I played that hand that i figured it was time to go. I was still up about $200 for the day so it wasn't all bad.

Besides the fact that calling to see the flop might have been a bad decision... When should I have slowed down my play, or possibly folded? I was thinking that fast playing the hand was the only option, making it expensive for people with a straight draw to stick around, and at the same time making people with a set pay since I already had the straight. But with all the betting going on I am not sure if I did the right thing... How should I have played the hand?

2000Flushes
03-21-2004, 06:41 AM
I stop when the turn gets raised and go into calldown mode, not sure if I would fold the river for 2 bb, but I think I might, depending on my evaluation of the other players.

On a side note, thats the trouble with playing 3gappers, they can never make a nut str8