PDA

View Full Version : Playing online for a living week 47

davidross
03-21-2004, 02:52 AM
Taking some time off paid dividends this week. There is nothing fair about the game of poker over a short period, but in the long run you’ll get the results you deserve and I’m getting better and better with accepting the short term fluctuations. Last week I played a lot of hours trying and failing to bank some winnings in anticipation of a few days off for the kids March break. So this week I played minimal hours and had terrific results.

Last Sunday my wife left with the 3 younger children for Montreal. My older daughter had to work and I had to curl on Sunday night, so we stayed behind an extra day and left for Montreal on Monday morning. It was just a short trip for me, as the two older kids had to be back home by Wednesday afternoon. So I drove 6 hours on Monday, made a 90 minute drive to ski on Tuesday, then after a full day of fantastic ski conditions made the 90 minute return trip Tuesday night. Finally Wednesday morning I came back with the two older kids. 15 hours of driving in a 54 hour period, but worth every minute. My wife is still in Montreal with the 2 younger kids, but will return today. Life gets back to normal tomorrow.

Freed from my parental responsibilities, I made a rare Sunday afternoon appearance at the poker tables and immediately wished I hadn’t. My mediocre results from the previous week continued and I dropped $300. The men’s Canadian curling championship final was on Sunday night, and after finding out our game was cancelled, my teammates and I headed out to watch the final in a bar. It was a fun night out with the boys, and the curling was fantastic, maybe the most exciting final ever (keep the comments to yourself), although I readily admit the highlight of the evening was the lingerie match on the WWF show that was on the adjoining television. Anyway I got home around 1:00 AM after a few cold ones and proceeded to lose $600 more. I was just about ready to call it a night when I hit a few hands and decided to play a little more. By 5:00 AM I had won back the $900 and actually finished the day ahead $27. I changed my departure time to 11:00 and got a little sleep. I didn’t play at all in Montreal and got a couple of good nights of sleep. I don’t usually feel tired when I’m on my normal routine, but there is something nice about 7 straight hours of sleep. I got home Wednesday afternoon but didn’t have time to play. I got home from the curling club around 11:00 PM and proceeded to have a good night, winning $616. Thursday was back to a normal schedule, and I had posted wins in both the afternoon and evening sessions, winning $1,081. My son and I had a male bonding couple of nights, take out food and action movies. T3 on Thursday, and Jackie Chan on Friday. It was pretty nice. Even better were the big wins I had. Friday was another big day, up $1,047. Finally Saturday night, in only 2 hours of play I won another $791, finishing the week ahead $3,562 playing only 27 hours.

It has now been over 3 weeks since my last $500 loss. Clearly my more aggressive play is paying off in fewer losing sessions, as well as smaller losses when they occur. The games are still full of people willing to cold call with crap, and chase to the river with anything. This leads to a lot of river beats, but you sure win some big pots as a result. On one of my huge nights this week I lost 3 hands where I flopped or turned a full house, when the other guys AA made a boat with a 2-out A rivering. They were all $150 plus pots, so that night could have been even bigger.

It’s interesting for me to look back at how my game has evolved in the last year. Playing full table 5/10 at paradise, and 3/6 at Party I was very much a weak tight player. I did a lot of limping and saw a lot of flops. But I managed to win steadily, although probably at a rate that was less than optimal. However, seeing so many flops did allow me to develop hand reading skills that I think help me a lot now. Using Poker tracker and comparing my results with other 2+2’ers was the catalyst for me making changes to my game, and although the changes weren’t extreme, they made an immediate improvement in my win rate. I can’t help but think though that the time spent playing “weak-tight’ was an important developmental stage for my game.

I didn’t play any tournaments this week, but Empire has a WSOP qualifier tonight guaranteeing 3 seats for a $150 entry. I think I’ll buy in for that one. And next Saturday is the 1st VIP reward tournament where the top 100 players (as of Wednesday) will play for a $30,000 package to the Bellagio 5 star tourney. I currently have 8916 points and 100th place is 7006. I think I’m safely in.

Here is something I’ve done more of lately with good results. I believe I have the table image of someone whose bets mean something, so occasionally I try and take advantage of that. I had Qd 8d on the button and with one limper in, I limped too. Both blinds played. Flop came Kd 7s 5d. The blinds checked and the limper bet out. I just called hoping the blinds would come along too. This is my usual play in this situation as I would rather play 3 others for 1 bet when drawing than get it heads up for 2 bets. SB called, and the BB folded. Turn was the 6h giving me a few more outs. Again the limper bet, and now I raised. The BB called (damn) but the limper folded. River was the Ts. BB checked and I bet my Q high busted draw. BB folded. Too often I would check this river to save the $10, but clearly I don’t have to steal the pot too often to make this play worthwhile.

I was flush blind here. I have Qh 8h in the SB, and there is a poster who checks. I just call and the BB checks. 3 to the flop. Flop is Th 9s 7h giving me a great draw. I bet, the BB raises and the poster calls 2 cold. I 3 bet, and the BB caps. Poster calls 2 more cold and all 3 of us see the turn. Turn is the 8c, not a great card for me. I check, BB bets and we both call. I start chanting “Heart’ ‘Heart’, but my prayers go unanswered as the Jc rivers. I check, thinking that at least I might split the pot with us all playing the board. They both checked behind me and I was shocked to see the pot sliding my way. I completely missed my Q making me a straight. I also missed 2 bets I’m sure. BB had 8s 3d (wow) and poster had Ah 6h (WOW, glad heart didn’t come).

At one point in my amazing short Saturday session I had the following stats. 229 hands played, 18% won, 90% showdowns won, 30% flops seen and 50% pots won when flop seen. That’s how to win $900 in 2 hours.

Have a good week all.

jasonHoldEm
03-21-2004, 03:02 AM
Hehe, I was wondering if you were going to post tonight or tomorrow morning. Now that I've read this I can go to bed.

I think taking time off is very valuable (something we all probably don't do enough of). It helps to clear your mind and helps you focus better when you get back.

Congrats on a great week. I'll save my curling joke. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Peace,
jHE

jerome baker
03-21-2004, 06:34 AM
any way to get week 1 to 47. i've tried 2+2 search, but some weeks just dont show up. thx

Wolf
03-21-2004, 06:54 AM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=220&Number=588670&Board= holdem&what=showthreaded&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5 &o=14&fpart=&vc=1

click on link, then go to show all davidross posts

MicroBob
03-21-2004, 05:35 PM
congrats david.
good stuff.

did you ever find out about the whole WSOP-satellite situation that didn't seem to actually give out an entry??

davidross
03-21-2004, 06:04 PM
No they never gave me an answer, but I went to the lobby of last nights semi final and the prize pool clearly stated 1st place was a $12,000 WSOP package and 2nd place was $100, so obviously they didn't give a seat that night I finished 4th and got $1480. Lucky for me but I'd have been pretty pissed if I had been the winner and didn't get my seat.

davidross
03-21-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm thinking of adding sports betting to my resume. My brother convinced me to join his NCAA pool and after teh 1st round I was in last place, but no fear my final two is Gonzaga and Stanford. Clearly I'm cut out for this line of work.

jasonHoldEm
03-21-2004, 06:34 PM
In college I used to pick my NCAA teams based solely on the coolness/funniness (is that a word?) of their names. You'd be surprised how well this works...three out of the four years I participated in my frat's tournament pool I placed in the money. I was going to write a book, but never got around to it.

jHE

EDIT: I apply the same theory to voting...we have a judge in my area named Nancy Butts.

jonnyv
03-21-2004, 08:50 PM
once again, great post! I look forward to this every week. Would love to hear how you evolved from a weak tight player to the player you are now.

Nick B.
03-21-2004, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No they never gave me an answer, but I went to the lobby of last nights semi final and the prize pool clearly stated 1st place was a $12,000 WSOP package and 2nd place was $100, so obviously they didn't give a seat that night I finished 4th and got $1480. Lucky for me but I'd have been pretty pissed if I had been the winner and didn't get my seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the circumstances, but maybe there were not enough entries to give out a seat so they just went to a multi table payout.

davidross
03-21-2004, 10:27 PM
No they were 14 people over what they advertised (1 seat for every 60). I just asked the guy who won it (he's n tonights tourney too) and he said he got an email from them but no details yet. He's not sure he's got a seat but he thinks so. Pretty weird.

stripsqueez
03-21-2004, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can’t help but think though that the time spent playing “weak-tight’ was an important developmental stage for my game

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant help but think that maybe you get this perspective as someone who has gone from ring games to short handed games and thereby seen the value of aggression - i've read most of your posts and although i'm no ring game expert you didnt seem "weak" to me from what i read

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

nykenny
03-21-2004, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It has now been over 3 weeks since my last $500 loss. Clearly my more aggressive play is paying off in fewer losing sessions, as well as smaller losses when they occur.

[/ QUOTE ]
David,

It is not clearly. a few weeks is not nearly enough evidence for improvement. even you said it yourself that the short-term results can be unfair.

anyway, congrats on another good week /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kenny

davidross
03-22-2004, 04:07 AM
I think Kenny that 3 weeks is very significant considering the number of hands I play. I've certainly never gone that long without a big loss before. I do think it's fair to say that the adjustments I made have helped to reduce the variance in my EV.

Of course I will go through rough patches again, but I have a feeling they wont be as bad as they were around CHristmas before I made the style changes.

davidross
03-22-2004, 04:10 AM
I think I bordered on being "weak". I was pretty quick to lay down a hand to some aggression, and I limped in an awful lot. But I played that way because it was effective for those particular games. When i tried it shorthanded I got run over by the aggressive players, and nobody would pay me off when I hit.

TylerD
03-22-2004, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
T3 on Thursday

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hear about your bad week.

nykenny
03-22-2004, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Kenny that 3 weeks is very significant considering the number of hands I play. I've certainly never gone that long without a big loss before. I do think it's fair to say that the adjustments I made have helped to reduce the variance in my EV.

Of course I will go through rough patches again, but I have a feeling they wont be as bad as they were around CHristmas before I made the style changes.

[/ QUOTE ]
dave,

i am actually more confident than anything that you have improved over the past 3 weeks. i also have no doubt that your better tuned aggression has helped you better ur game. However, I couldn't be quick to agree to the conclusion that "more aggressive style = less variance", that's all. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i think you have improved your game in other aspects that you might be over-looking, like chasing less, better value-betting skills, etc. My understanding is that more aggression leads to bigger swing, though now necessary a bad thing since it can also make you more BB/hr in the long run, assuming the increased aggression is strategically called for.

Kenny

davidross
03-22-2004, 02:00 PM
You have to put yourself in the shoes of a 13 year old who can never watch these movies because of younger siblings. He was in heaven. We'll be back!!

James282
03-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Hey Kenny - more aggressiveness preflop will lead to smaller (down)swings if you play well postflop, because you will limit the field more effectively and decrease people sucking out on you or taking shots at you. Intense aggressiveness postflop, in Ulysses' case for example, probably leads to a higher winrate but much higher variance than david would expect. Also, aggressiveness on the flop to knock out chasers instead of overcalling to keep them coming along decreases variance as well.
-James

Crispyk
03-22-2004, 02:33 PM
Just curious david, but what sites do you mainly play on. I'm having trouble deciding which sites fit me best, i just wanted a "pros" opinion on it. Thanks!

davidross
03-23-2004, 01:01 PM
I've been playing exclusively at Party/Empire since last summer. THe most players to me means the most bad players. SInce EMpire allowed 4 tables at once I have played only there in order to earn more of their frequent player points and take advantage of those benefits.

Guido
03-24-2004, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
playing only 27 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/grin.gif