PDA

View Full Version : 3-6 Taj Hand, Heads up Question

03-28-2002, 02:00 PM
Long time reader, first time poster.

A good 3-6 weekday afternoon game at the Taj, the table is tight and passive with only a few players who get tricky. It's folded around to the button, who looks at his cards and says, "I've got to call" and throws in $3. I look down and find AKo and raise. He calls. Since he didn't open raise, I believe that he holds at least a decent ace or two big cards and is trying to slowplay. From watching this player, I believe that he would have raised to try and steal the blinds if he had something worse. This may have been a bad assumption, but it was my read.

The Flop was K74 rainbow. I bet, he raised, I three bet and he called. The turn was a 10. I bet and he called. The river was an Ace. I bet and he called. I turned over my top two pair and he showed me a KJ offsuit and said "I had to call".

My quesion is, who would have called the raise on the flop and tried for a checkraise on the turn? I knew that his raise meant that he hit the flop, but I wanted to three-bet to see if he'd reraise representing a set or two-pair. If he had two big and unpaired cards, the turn checkraise may have been perfect. However, if he had an ace, he may have checked behind me on the turn. Am I suffering from fancy play syndrom here?

All comments appreciated.

03-28-2002, 02:31 PM
How sure were you that he had a pair of Kings? On the one hand, you said you felt sure the flop had hit him. On the other, you said you were afraid he might have checked an Ace behind you.

If you had checked, would he have bet with K/poor kicker? Would he have called a check-raise? From your description of him, he sounds like a passive player. So the way you played it sounds right.

03-28-2002, 03:24 PM
Heads-Up I want to be very very sure my opponent is betting if I am going to try to checkraise. I don't think you can count on him to bet the turn if you just call the raise and check. This is doubly true if the table is passive and he only called first in late. I think you maximize your $ by doing all the betting you can here and letting him pay you off.

KJS

03-28-2002, 03:25 PM
dont worry, u played it fine.

03-28-2002, 04:25 PM
3-betting the flop is less risky when you're reasonably sure you have the best hand. Checkraising the turn rather than 3-betting the flop is only going to win you an extra .5 big bets if it works. If it doesn't work, you cost yourself 1.5 big bets when he checks behind you.