PDA

View Full Version : Selfconfidence blown away, no more river threebets without the nuts.

FatLoser
03-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Okay, this is it, after being hit with a $7,000 losing streak at $15-30 I'm just starting to come back, having won back $2000 and I'm starting to feel good about my game again, making the right value bets and so on. Then this hand occurrs.

$15-30 online. Ten player table.

I get dealt 88 in the cutoff, suits do not matter.

One EP limper and one MP limper, I decide to limp too.
Button folds and SB (MEGAFISH) raise, BB (Thinks he's the man but his previous play has shown him wrong many times) and limpers call as well as me.

Flop comes 8h 6c 3d. SB bets out, BB raise, limpers drop and I threebet. They both call.

Turn comes 4h. Checked to me and I bet, both call again.

River comes Jh. Checked to me and I bet, SB now checkraise and BB folds. I figure he doesn't necessarily need the flush here (a week or two ago I would ALWAYS assume the nuts when someone checkraise me on the river, thats was my confidence level) and that he could just as well have his usual cheese, something like J6 or whatever. Thus, I threebet and he of course fourbets me. So I call and am shown the nutflush.

There, now my confidence level dropped a mile and I'm back into "never threebet the river without the nuts" thinking again since they "always" have it when they raise me.

I did show strength in the hand and he still checkraised the river, should one only call there? I'm quite [censored] up in my mind right now so I dont have a clue about anything anymore it feels like. =(

Ok, done venting. Back to the tables.

-FatLoser

SpaceAce
03-20-2004, 09:44 PM
There are a couple of cheesy straights out there, there is a flush out there, you've been showing strength all the way and get check-raised on the river with second set. Results notwithstanding, how often is three-betting here going to be a good idea, anyway? If you have him beat, you probably gain only one bet. If you don't have him beat, it will probably cost you two more when he reraises.

SpaceAce