PDA

View Full Version : Damn Gonzaga, now who do I root for?

DonWaade
03-20-2004, 07:55 PM
I really did not think that Gonzaga was gonna win it all but how the hell they gonna lose to Nevada. So now, I think Oklahoma State is gonna win it all. Any thoughts?

greenage
03-20-2004, 08:59 PM
Go Nevada!

Not a fan, but I do live in WAC territory. Go WAC!

Ed Miller
03-20-2004, 09:05 PM
I had Bama in the finals!!!! Oh wait, that was Stanford. Oops... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

JoeU
03-20-2004, 10:53 PM
I'm sure CrackerZack and Orange Heat will agree with me when I say:

LETS GO ORANGE!!!!

Joe

HDPM
03-20-2004, 11:19 PM
I am not betting, filling out brackets, or paying very much attention at all. But I was thrilled to see gonzaga lose. And stanford. You see, I can't stand the fiction behind college athletics. Any team that is good compromises the values of the university. So I root against all the schools that people love and root for rancid, corrupt schools. Except my alma mater which is now embroiled in a delightful scandal. I root against them and hope they lose their program of course. Duke is also near the top of my hate list of course. And all schools with religious affiliations. So there goes gonzo. Gotta hate stanford of course. I always kinda hate teams that are from public schools, but many of the ones that are the most scandal ridden take the tax money. So I am a little hypocritical there. My ideal is a private school that cheats, has criminals for players, and has a lot of scandals. So it is hard to find a good team to root for, but at least gonzaga lost. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sincere
03-21-2004, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My ideal is a private school that cheats, has criminals for players, and has a lot of scandals.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your a Miami Hurricane football fan?

HDPM
03-21-2004, 02:52 AM
Exactly. And they even have a Clinton administration flunkie as a university president. Ideal school to root for in college sports. One thing missing is a point shaving scandal. I don't think they've had one of those. We can only hope.

Sincere
03-21-2004, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing missing is a point shaving scandal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a Sexual recruiting scandal, like Colorado.

HDPM
03-21-2004, 04:16 PM
Yes, colorado is the school I mentioned as my alma mater. They have always used sex to recruit. Deliberately. I have a reliable source who heard it personally from one of their recruiters in the 70's. I have personally seen the women assigned to recruits, and they are talented indeed. (I never saw the sex or rape as the case may be, just the women) Now a dozen years later we are getting all the details of the rapes and harassment. Not good. The rape stuff isn't something you can laugh at like a good point shaving scandal. So when I see CU's woes I think they should just end the football program. Actually their Div. I participation in all sports. Even their women's basketball takes priority over the academics. The athletic program there is a total drain on the university and Colorado taxpayers. Now they are gobbling up even more funds because they need to investigate. It's not like an investigation is necessary to determine the program is corrupt. They should just release all the athletes from their commitments and start over at Divisin III or something. Have a nice rivalry with the school of mines and mesa state or whatever. CU has proven they should not be allowed to compete at the Div. I level at taxpayer expense. So I don't laugh at that scandal. Because people have been really hurt by it. And I was forced to pay for the whole boondoggle when I was there.

scalf
03-22-2004, 08:47 AM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif hd..clearly one of the best posts ever...the truth..lol..

i remember ross perot was asked by texas legislature to do a study of high school academics in texas and give a report (way back before he was running for president)...

his report essentially stated how out of control high school sports were in texas..esp. football, huge funds shifted from academic programs to athletic, and the minorities hurt the most...

the key feature i remember: high school athletics really were a cheap form of entertainment for adults; thru a perversion of the academic system...

also no one, i mean no one took it seriously..lol; and the situation is worse now...

gl

gl /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/spade.gif