PDA

View Full Version : Playing against "the mandatory last-to-act-checked-to-me flop bet"

Griffin
03-20-2004, 05:21 PM
This is a 5/10 table in the normal range of loose-passive. I'm about the only one raising preflop, and prior to this hand I've been on a good run at this table.

I have K5o in the BB. EP, MP, and LP limp and I check. Four players see the flop.

Flop(4sb): J T 5 (two clubs)

Checked to LP who bets. I believed this to be one of those mandatory "checked to me so I'll bet it" bets, so I raised. I figured I had LP beat and I wanted Aces, Queens, and weak Jacks to fold.

EP, MP and LP all call ( /images/graemlins/blush.gif oops, that didn't work like I wanted it to).

Turn(6bb): T (no club)

I bet, only MP calls. Either I was right about LP, or he folded a weak Jack.

River(8bb): Qc

I bet, MP calls.

When my flop CR got called by all, was I right to continue the aggression on the turn and river? Anyone disagree with my flop CR?

Thanks,
Griff

PS. Bonus points to the poster who can guess what I lost to.

tripdad
03-20-2004, 05:51 PM
the aggression there is good once in a while, just don't make it SOP, or you will pay. i guess you lost to a wired pair if 6's, 7's , or 8's.

cheers!

PS... what are the bonus points good for and where do i cash them in at?

MaxPower
03-20-2004, 06:26 PM
After two people call two bets cold on the flop, I would give it up. Hope it gets checked around on the turn.

I guarantee someone had a much stronger hand than you were expecting.

Griffin
03-20-2004, 07:13 PM
First of all, I agree with you and Tripdad. The cold calls should have slowed me down. I would have folded to a raise at any point in the hand. When the turn paired the board, I figured it would either scare everyone off if I bet, or induce a raise to which I could fold with ease. On the river, I figured the only way to win was to bet.

If I try this again, I'll wait for better conditions (fewer opponents).

Second....MP showed A5o to take it with a pair of fives, better kicker. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Not at all what I was expecting to lose to if he called.

Oh, a hundred bonus points gets you a smiley face in my reply post, so no big loss....I'll toss it in for free /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Griff