PDA

View Full Version : 5-10 hand, lets count my mistakes

03-28-2002, 02:57 AM
The way I played this hand almost made me sick. I'm not sure if I could have played it much worse. I'd like to hear others comments about it.

Loose 5-10 game, this is a kill hand so we're playing 10-20.

I'm in the cutoff with QhJh. 2 limpers to me, I limp along with the button. Mistake? Who mucks here?

SB drops and BB makes it $20. All call.

Flop: 10 J Q rainbow

Checked to me, I come out firing. Button calls, BB check-raises. First limper calls, second mucks. I call. Mistake? Does anyone reraise here?

Turn: [10 J Q] 6

BB bets out, limper and I call. Button raises. We all call. Mistake? Can I possibly be ahead?

River: [10 J Q 6] Q

Beautiful, tons of action and I hold the nuts. Checked to me, what do I do? I check. Much to my dismay the button also checks. He of course turns over AK. BB turns over JJ for what he thinks is a winner. Limper mucks K9.

Looks like if I bet the river I get a call from the button, a raise from the BB, and a call from him when I reraise.

Flame away.

03-28-2002, 07:07 AM
First off folding QJs here would be crazy. Depending on what kind of limpers, and what their positions are you have to decide wether to call or raise. Raising is probably going to be the proper play more often then not.

On the flop you have to bet, there are plenty of hands that you can beat even though there is a significant fear of AK being out there. When check raised you can figure the guy very likely now has AA KK QQ AK or AQ (with AQ and QQ being less likely).

On the turn when you just call and then the button raises this is time for serious caution flags to go up. His play is almost for sure a slowplay, he calls on the flop and after an innocuous card arrives on the turn he now raises. Also notice that this card (the 6) couldn't have helped him unless he took all that heat with pocket 66. Anyway you now need to consider your pot odds to improve, plus the small chance that he has the same hand as you or even something weaker like JT or QT. Since the pot is almost big enough to hit your (possibly) 4 outer plus the chance that you may have these guys beaten I think a call is in order. If the BB would have reraised you should fold IMO.

On the river I think the check raise probably wasn't a bad idea since the button seemed likely to bet and you could have trapped the BB for hopefully 2 bets, but this depends on how likely you think your opponent was to bet, and how likely he is to call after you raise (this is quite likely since the pot is large and he has been showing strength, but against better players you will not get these calls as often since check raising 2 opponents screams strength on your part). If you have any hope of the BB trying to check raise then maybe you should have bet. On the other hand betting gains you an almost sure 2 bets on the river. The formula for trying to figure out what the best play on the river in heads up spots (found in HEFAP) should also be useful in trying to determine what the best play would be in 3 way pots.

Kris

03-28-2002, 11:25 AM
1. Small pre-flop mistake: limping instead of raising in the cutoff with QJs

Raising with big suited cards in the cutoff or on the button when there are multiple limpers ahead of you should become a routine play. You want to (1) build a big pot for those occasions when you flop a big draw/hand, (2) get checked to when the flop misses you so you can take a free card, (3) buy the button when applicable, (4) force the blinds to pay to to see the flop with weak hands like Ax and Kx or fold.

2. HUGE Analysis mistake: Considering mucking QJs in the cutoff

If you're folding hands like QJs in late position, then you need to immediately reevaluate your starting hand requirements. If you really do this, you are playing ridiculously tight and giving up many profitable situations.

3a. Possible flop mistake: not 3-betting the flop

I would probably either 3-bet the flop or smooth call with the intention of raising the turn. The goal is to knock out the button if he's holding a stiff Ace, King, 9, or 8.

3b. Possible turn mistake: not raising the turn

see above

You definitely call the turn raise. You call closes the action and it's reasable to assume that you have four clean outs if you are currently behind.

4. Huge river mistake: not betting a full-house

I understand why you went for the checkraise. However, many players get scared of betting either straights or flushes when the top board card pairs. They will definitely call one bet with weaker hands. It's just too risky to go for the checkraise in this situation. Bet and hope you get raised.

Before seeing their cards, I think it's safe to assume that both the button and BB will call one bet on the river.

After seeing their cards, it's quite possible that your check cost you 9 big bets (bet, raise from JJ, reraise, cap from JJ).

03-28-2002, 11:32 AM
1) Pre-flop I would raise if you think you can get the button. No way I would fold.

2) Post-Flop I like the re-raise option here to better define what everyone has.

3) Turn. The first call has to be made and after the button raises you're almost certainly behind, but if my math is right you are getting 16-1 on your 4 outer(which I guess in reality was just a 2-outer), without considering possible river bets. Easy call.

4) River. I think you want to bet here hoping for a 3-bet. I'm shocked it went around, so the check-raise attempt wasn't really bad.

Nice to be on the good side of one of those. Seems like we're always the guy with the J's.

03-28-2002, 06:08 PM
Nice post. I think your explanation of pre-flop raise was excellent. I agree with you that the river should be bet, but I think "huge" is a bit harsh. I think it's kind of close, and what tips the balances in favor of betting is the chance that you may get raised and can re-raise. I think in many situations betting out with very good hands is a good play. It can be more deceptive than check-raising, plus you can get more bets.

03-28-2002, 11:24 PM
About the preflop call, I would never muck here. I like your reasoning for raising though.

The one that I'm still angry about myself about is the river check. As you said, I cost myself a lot of chips there.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm pretty new to the game and trying to get better.

03-30-2002, 07:50 AM