PDA

View Full Version : Sorry if this is a silly question.....

sublime
03-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Is there a "trick" to helping you dertermine your amount of outs?

Example 89s

flop is 2s3oko

how many "outs" do i have?

illunious
03-20-2004, 03:44 PM
In your example, you hold 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Flop: 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/heart.gif

You have a runner runner flush draw, which can be counted as 1.5 outs.

You also have two possible pairs for 6 outs.

If no one already has a pair larger than 8s, you may have 7.5 outs.

If someone has a pair of kings and two spades in their hand, you have 0 outs.

I would count it as only 1.5 outs for the flush, I would not be happy catching an 8 or 9.

After playing enough, it will be automatic.. there's not really any trick to it.

This link (http://teamfu.freeshell.org/poker_odds.html) has some great information on poker odds, including a chart of common outs.

sublime
03-20-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks

As a rule of thumb is it safe to assume somebody has flopped top pair?

illunious
03-20-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a rule of thumb is it safe to assume somebody has flopped top pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, don't just assume this. There are many different factors to consider when putting your opponents on a hand. Whatever you put them on, count only the outs that can beat that hand.

sublime
03-20-2004, 08:15 PM
cool
im earning my bones at .05/.10 at PS
doing OK, just have to get rid of that urge to chase....its just hard when you are sitting at a table with so many loose aggresive players.

afk
03-20-2004, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cool
im earning my bones at .05/.10 at PS
doing OK, just have to get rid of that urge to chase....its just hard when you are sitting at a table with so many loose aggresive players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aggressive? You're at the wrong table! I'm a fellow .05/.10 player at PS and from I've seen at least 75% of the players are loose and very very passive - and that's being generous. Good luck at the tables, maybe I'll see you there.

It's kind of frustrating having to do so much work to get up to .25/.50. I started with $50 and I'm thinking once I make another $50 I might just deposit the last $50 to give me 300BB at .25/.50.

sublime
03-20-2004, 10:53 PM
by aggressive I meant that they will chase ANYTHING.....

afk
03-21-2004, 03:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
by aggressive I meant that they will chase ANYTHING.....

[/ QUOTE ]

That's very true, and it can be frustrating when they draw out on you (ie. hitting 2 gutshot straights in a row on the river), but as has been said over and over - these are the folks that make you money. There are many more times where they chase against your good hand and they don't draw out, and you're laughing all the way to the bank (with a bag of nickels, nonetheless). The bad beats just stick out because well... they suck!

rayrns
03-21-2004, 08:44 AM
I think that if you have $100 (200BB at .25/.50)that you should venture up to .25/.50 and give it a try. The game plays the same and if you are winning well at .05/.10, you can win at the next level up. Use 25BB and try .25/.50. If you lose, drop down till you gain it back, then try again but I doubt that you will have to.

rayrns
03-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Passive = little raising
Agressive = fair amount of raising
Loose = many playing pre-flop
Tight = few players pre-flop

If many people are playing pre-flop with no raising, the game would be listed as loose passive. (good game)

If few people are playing pre-flop with a fair amount of raising, the game would be tight aggressive. (tough game)

Some games can play loose passive pre-flop and then get aggressive post flop.

The above examples are why why it is important to pick the correct game, for your style, to play in.

sublime
03-21-2004, 09:05 AM
I have seen it posted here that some people are on waiting lists for a "good" table. I imagine that they are looking at the stats in the lobby and seeing which tables have the highest average pot size and the highest amount of players seeing the flop?

also I have now played around 250 hands at .05/.10. I have seen about 30-35% of the flops. Is this good/bad?

rayrns
03-21-2004, 10:32 AM
Looking at the # of players seeing the flop will tell you how the game is playing, loose or tight. If only 15-20% are seeing the flop, you are looking at a tight game. Add in small pots, or large pots caused by lots of post flop raising, and you have a game you don't want to play in. Pot size by itself will not tell you how the game is being played. When in doubt view the table for a couple of rounds and you will have a good idea if it is playing in a manor that is best for you.

About 15-20% not including the blinds. So with the blinds 30% may not be to high. 35% and you may be getting a little to loose although with only 250 hands it is hard to know what your real average is.

afk
03-21-2004, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have seen it posted here that some people are on waiting lists for a "good" table. I imagine that they are looking at the stats in the lobby and seeing which tables have the highest average pot size and the highest amount of players seeing the flop?

also I have now played around 250 hands at .05/.10. I have seen about 30-35% of the flops. Is this good/bad?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, 250 hands isn't large enough to get an accurate number. But as a reference, I think that 30-35% including blinds is just a little high. I checked my pokertracker stats and I've seen 15% flops outside of the blinds and 24% with the blinds included.