PDA

View Full Version : poker tracker "aggression factor"

eastbay
03-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Just wanted to compare notes on this "aggression factor" stat in poker tracker, under the "more detail" button in the "general info" tab.

ag = (raise% + bet%)/call%

mine is 2.30 for all limits/blinds.

You?

eastbay

GoSox
03-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Mine's an even 1.00 That seems about right, I play very tight, but the few hands i play I'm very aggressive.

eastbay
03-20-2004, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mine's an even 1.00 That seems about right, I play very tight, but the few hands i play I'm very aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't sound like an aggressive game at all to me. You call just as much as you raise or bet out. That's passive, not aggressive.

eastbay

talkinghead
03-20-2004, 05:03 PM
I'm getting 2.85 after 168 tournaments

Jonathan
03-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Eastbay,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. There is all kinds of interesting stuff in Poker Tracker that I don't make use of!

Mine is 1.77.

He gives general guidelines of <0.7 is passive while > 1.5 is aggressive. So that would put GoSox right in the middle.

At 2.3 you're not aggressive....you're a wild maniac!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

What other statistics in PT do people find useful?

Regards,
Jonathan

Bozeman
03-20-2004, 05:23 PM

Most aggr. on flop.

I think this number can be seriously skewed in SNG's because of NL and shorthanded play.

Craig

eastbay
03-20-2004, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Most aggr. on flop.

I think this number can be seriously skewed in SNG's because of NL and shorthanded play.

Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

You can look at the per-blind values, too:

15/30: 1.27
30/60: 1.38
50/100: 2.26
100/200: 3.50
200/400: 3.00
300/600: 3.37
400/800: 4.00
500/1000: 3.83 (only 38 hands here, though)

Actually that's kind of interesting. I may have a "timid on the bubble" leak where 200/400 play tends to be (I think). Hmm.

eastbay

Jonathan
03-20-2004, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just wanted to compare notes on this "aggression factor" stat in poker tracker, under the "more detail" button in the "general info" tab.

[/ QUOTE ]

He breaks out the aggression factor for preflop, flop, turn, and river. Did you notice that the bet% preflop is always 0.0? This seriously skews the ag downwards preflop, and it means your average ag is misleadingly low. Perhaps it makes more sense to look at the ag post flop only?

Jonathan

Jonathan
03-20-2004, 06:18 PM
Eastbay,

With the exception of 200/400 (which you think is "on the bubble") your ag increases monotonically as the blinds rise. Why do you think this is so? And is it good or bad?

Jonathan

eastbay
03-20-2004, 07:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Eastbay,

With the exception of 200/400 (which you think is "on the bubble") your ag increases monotonically as the blinds rise. Why do you think this is so? And is it good or bad?

Jonathan

[/ QUOTE ]

It's so for several reasons:

1) As blinds increase, getting your opponent to fold pays more. Raises give him the opportunity to fold, calling never does.

2) Blind increase is correlated with shorter handed play (this is all SnG data). Short handed play calls for increasing aggression, proportional to the number of players left. Heads-up with big blinds, it's easy to do worse than to push in every single hand. By the time your opponent is sure that's what you're doing, or until he catches a good calling hand, it's often too late for him. (I personally don't take it that far, but just to illustrate. You'd get absolutely killed trying that at a full table.)

IMO, it's definitely good to see that trend.

eastbay

eastbay
03-20-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He breaks out the aggression factor for preflop, flop, turn, and river. Did you notice that the bet% preflop is always 0.0? This seriously skews the ag downwards preflop, and it means your average ag is misleadingly low. Perhaps it makes more sense to look at the ag post flop only?

Jonathan

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's fine as an apples-to-apples comparison between players. I wouldn't try to interpret the number itself too much, though.

eastbay

talkinghead
03-21-2004, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Eastbay,

At 2.3 you're not aggressive....you're a wild maniac!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I resent that, the word maniac has such negative connotations