PDA

View Full Version : I like my hand but so do they - is pushing right here ?

Tosh
03-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Chip totals before blinds:
UTG 2425
Me 1920
MP 1045
CO 1045
SB 2955
BB 1130

Blinds are 15/30. UTG limps I limp with 33. MP, CO, SB limp and BB checks. (Pot 180)

Flop is 763r. SB bets 125, BB raises to 300, UTG calls. There is 905 in the pot, and I push for my last 1890.

GoSox
03-20-2004, 04:05 PM
I probably would not have pushed this against the two blinds who both limped. They could very well have low cards and flopped a set or str8 draw. No one is very shortstacked so with that many people still in at least one of them likely either has you beat or has a good draw.

AJo Go All In
03-21-2004, 05:58 AM
sets are very good hands. stop thinking about folding them. this should, in my opinion, improve your game.

alekhine8
03-21-2004, 01:40 PM
I guess it depends on if you are happy winning the pot (900) at this point or not. I think there are plenty of hands that people would call you with that you beat (overpairs, straight draws, and maybe even A7).

I dont think I could ever lay this down on the flop regardless of what everyone else does (unless its something ridiculous like four people all-in before you) so just push in while you are most likely the favorite and be done with it.

Tosh
03-21-2004, 02:05 PM
Just to clarify folding was never in my mind. In the end I decided that I would be fine with winning the pot right away and the fact that so many worse hands will probably call me made me push. Only BB called, he had 67 and didn't improve.

SoBeDude
03-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Hi Tosh,

In this situation you've got to be excited. THREE of your opponents have shown interest in a hand you're winning MOST of the time.

I think I'd either smoothcall the flop or possibly just make a minimum reraise.

If I smoothcall, and assuming the CO folds, you have position. You have truely the best of it, best hand (likely) and best position. If you just push in here on the flop, you're eliminating some of your advantage.

If you just call, you're encouraging the EP opponents who already invested in the pot to call, hence earning you more money. Also, there is a possiblity they might reraise, in which case you should push all-in. This is not so far-fetched as it sounds, as one of the EP players might have an overpair like 99-JJ. I see these get limped a lot. And those that limp with these like to reraise all-in with them on low flops too.

So give your opponents more of a chance to make mistakes against your set. Let them call. Then, look at the turn and decide how aggressive to get. If you're lucky, it'll be a high card that hits someone.

-Scott