PDA

View Full Version : would you fold J9s to three bets cold pre-flop?

03-27-2002, 02:33 PM
PP 1/2, last night. I'm in MP1 and have J9 suited. Loose table (38% see flop), no recognizable faces. I limp. MP4 raises, LP re-raises and BB caps. To me. I fold without hesitation.

First, is limping with J9 suited really loose, loose or just plain dumb?

Second, if you limped would you call three bets cold with three players in the pot? Are there enough players to make my long-shot worth the call?

Flop comes J99. Very unlikely flop. All three players were in at the showdown with LP holding AA (two-pair) taking down the pot.

I know I could have strung all three along for a nice pot. My dilema is should I call these long shots when there are X number of people in the pot? Or was I correct in just dumping my small bet and moving to the next pot?

03-27-2002, 02:43 PM
Limping with this hand is not right or wrong, it all depends on game conditions...u must determine if the table is loose aggressive or loose passive. If the table is loose passive, u can see many hands, if it is loose aggressive u have to be tighter as ur hand won't have the implied odds it needs to be profitable (Thanks Mason). I would not call in a game where there is often preflop raising. If it is usually passive u can often limp in early positions with hands like this. As for your particular hand, fold when u have to call 3 bets cold...AA was way ahead...u made a good play, don't be results oriented.

Jeff

03-27-2002, 02:50 PM
Limping with J9s is going to be OK in most LL games. Once the games get tougher, meaning tighter and more aggressive, you need to start mucking it in EP and first in from MP.

Calling 3 cold with it is retarded. Good muck.

03-27-2002, 02:52 PM

03-27-2002, 03:11 PM
Personally I think limping here with J9s in a loose low limit game is fine but you have to be prepared to get off a hand like this quickly if there is significant action or you miss the flop.The cap by the BB indicates a strong holding and should tell you that you will have to hit your draw one way or the other to have a chance.You are essentially getting 4 to 1 for a call here which is not enough for me. I dump it here with only $1 invested just as you did.

03-27-2002, 03:40 PM
I dump in that situation, but it rarely happens. I generally try to avoid open-limping in general, either open with a raise or don't open. Especially at PP 1/2 where most of the tables will have some pretty aggressive players who will isolate limpers. In a loose passive game, which is fairly rare at PP 1/2, I will open-limp with stuff like J9s/98s etc in EP a lot, not only because I don't think there's much chance of a raise and because I assume that there'll be plenty of other limpers, but because limping is contagious, once someone sees someone do it they limp right along with stuff they normally wouldn't look twice at opening with. After playing NL for a while that's certainely an easy fold, heh.

The last couple times playing 1/2, after a couple week break, I've been at some pretty loose-aggressive tables which was kinda surprising. J9s is almost never playable there.

03-27-2002, 04:15 PM
I'm answering without reading other answers but I would definately limp with J9s and don't think that is a loose play at all. Without looking at Sklansky & Malmuth's hand table I think I think it is ranked as a group 5 hand (maybe 4).

Would I call three bets cold? No. Pairs, flushes, and straights would all be dominated.

03-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Without reading the other replies, I would put your call as way loose. 38% seing the flop is say four players, you are number three in the pot. You are in middle position, and your hopes are for a flush, straight, and finally pair(s) or better. I don't think you have enough callers (not to be confused with remaining players yet to act) to make the call correct. jmo

03-27-2002, 05:42 PM
Thanks for your help. After seeing the flop, I was definitely second guessing myself. With your help, I now know I made the right decision on the limp and the fold. And, I now have some added insight.

Big nuts to all of you!

03-27-2002, 06:45 PM
the only way id call this is a near family pot. even then, maybe not. notice your calling EVERYONE'S raise. there were no coldcallers in there. your well buried preflop, time to fold.

b

03-27-2002, 07:41 PM
When you start doing that watch how many three's show up on the board. You will see roughly one every other board, sometimes two. Playing your hand because you have a three doesn't make a good play, even if you see those threes on the board. I do this to help keep things in perspective.

03-27-2002, 09:07 PM