PDA

View Full Version : Would you push it in?

SacraVia
03-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed)

MP2 ($18.20)
CO ($96.32)
Hero ($42.65)
SB ($10) (on mild tilt, overplaying okay hands)
BB ($44.85)
UTG ($43.05)
UTG+1 ($84.08)
MP1 ($23.35)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 raises to $2, CO calls $2, Hero calls $2, SB raises to $3.5, BB folds, MP2 calls $1.50, CO calls $1.50, Hero calls $1.50.

Flop: ($14.50) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB bets $6.5 (All-In), MP2 folds, CO calls $6.50, Hero raises to $39.15 (All-In), CO calls $32.65.

Turn: ($99.30) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($99.30) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $99.30
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $34, between CO, Hero and SB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO ($34).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: $65.30, between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by CO ($65.30).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO shows Kh 6h (flush, king high).
Hero shows As Qd (one pair, queens).
SB shows Ks Qs (one pair, queens).
Outcome: CO wins $99.30. </font>

Comments:
<font color="green">Alright, this was a rough hand for me and I am unsure on how I played it preflop as well as on the flop. I have been getting killed playing AQo lately, and while getting it on the button I am a little tenative re-raising especially when I had 0 read on MP2. But then again I am second guessing myself now. The CO lives and dies by the draw - he loves to call down and bust big hands. Not a horrible player but is hitting allot right now. SB is on tilt, he has gone through a couple of buyins already and is not playing well at all, not his best poker for sure.

On the flop, I feel as though I was ahead when MP2 folded and CO could have anything but his call screamed draw to me. If he had a set or 2 pair, I believed he would have raised to force me out. Now with 26 dollars in the pot, is my all in at this point a good raise? Since he is getting odds for the flush at 2:1 on that call. Or should I have called the flop - then push if the flush does not hit. Thus making him have 2:1 odds on a 4:1 chance plus the ability to lay it down if does arive.

To be honest, I did not think of calling the flop, then pushing. I was more concerned with protecting my hand and winning the pot right then as well as isolating the SB. When he called, I closed my eyes and prayed the heart did not hit. Cussed the river and whimpered. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know I got my money in when I had the best of it but is that the proper play or just an excuse to tell myself to make me feel better.
</font>

bugstud
03-19-2004, 11:14 PM
just fold AQo preflop, even on party. I don't like any non KJT AQx or flops of that nature. Save your money for a better situation.

tdomeski
03-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Muck it preflop, AQo is my biggest loser of all the "big hands" . . . not strong enough to go the felt if you flop a Q. . .

luqui
03-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Whether I'd do what you'd do would depend on how well I knew CO.

But there's one thing to remember that's very important to your play here. The heart draw on the flop was somewhere around 2.9:1, not 2:1. That means going up against a flush draw heads up is a good move most of the time.

Huskiez
03-20-2004, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But there's one thing to remember that's very important to your play here. The heart draw on the flop was somewhere around 2.9:1, not 2:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two chances at a 9 outer means there is around 35% chance he makes it. 65:35 is about 2:1. He actually has slightly better odds than that because Hero holds two non-heart cards, but he doesn't know that. Why do you say it's 2.9:1?

SacraVia
03-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks everyone for replying!

Got a couple of questions. Do you treat AQo like AJo when it comes to calling a raise? Limp in early position and blinds, raise if folded to you in MP otherwise only raise in late? Or are you advocating more of just limp always with it?

My treatment of it has been that I play it like I do AKo/s which has changed recently as well. I know longer raise it in EP on a standard PP board, limp in the blinds when there allot of callers, and raise in late and middle position. This was similar to what I was doing with AQo.

However, in this hand the initial calling of the raise was were my problem was, per your critiques. For me, I called do to having position and that most of the time that 2 dollar raise could mean AJ, AT, KQ, QJs, or even KJ along with AA, KK, QQ, or AK. Most of the hands are those that I am healthy favorites against...

Per the flop - He was getting about 2:1 (2.04 to 1) on the call and getting odds for the draw. Thus, his play was technically correct.

Which leads me to the question I posed before, baring the misplay pre-flop, is calling the 6.50 and then waiting for the turn to push all in on the "correct play" via the Theory of poker. Since then he would be getting a little better than 2:1 on a 4.1 to 1 draw thus me making him make a mistake? Plus it gives me the ability to fold the hand if it hits...

Is charging the draw incorrect?

Lastly, tdomeski I respect your advise. The question I have concerning your post is what better hand, besides the set and over pairs, is there on a Qxx flop? Or is this only concerning calling a raise with it preflop and then coming down that way? If it is the later, and I assume that is what you speak of, I can agree with you. And this is a huge leak in my game...

Once again thanks guys!

Rushmore
03-20-2004, 04:46 PM
If I see the flop, yes. Whether or not I would see the flop is a more complicated question.

But yes, absolutely.