PDA

View Full Version : couple of hands from a NL virgin

obex
03-19-2004, 09:02 PM
These are a couple of hands from my first session ever of NL after some solid success playing limit for a couple of years. I would love some feedback to help me adjust my game.

1. Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (7 handed)

UTG ($36.95)
MP1 ($70.22)
MP2 ($94.50)
obex ($41.62)
Button ($37.75)
SB ($42.08)
BB ($22.50)

Preflop: obex is CO with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
wenz32 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">obex raises to $5</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls $4.
UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">obex bets $10</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises to $31.95 (All-In)</font>, obex folds.

Final Pot: $52.70
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $30.75, won by UTG.</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: $21.95, overbet by UTG.</font>

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (9 handed)

MP1 ($55.67)
MP2 ($93.30)
obex ($24.37)
CO ($30.80)
Button ($39.95)
SB ($67.93)
BB ($18.20)
UTG ($24.50)
UTG+1 ($16.45)

Preflop: obex is MP3 with 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.50, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.50, <font color="CC3333">obex raises to $4</font>, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $3.50, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls $3.50.

Flop: ($12.75) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">obex bets $20.37 (All-In)</font>, BB calls $14.20 (All-In), MP2 folds.

Turn: ($47.32) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($47.32) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $47.32
<font color="#990066">Main Pot: $41.15, between obex and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by BB ($41.15).</font>
<font color="#990066">Pot 2: $6.17, overbet by obex.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 2s 3s (two pair, threes and twos).
obex shows 4c 4h (one pair, fours).
Outcome: BB wins $41.15. obex wins $6.17. </font>

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

krazyace5
03-20-2004, 02:04 AM
Hand 1- I don't quite follow the betting sequence, but I think the fold is good, some players are gung ho on going all in with AK, but i would suspect AA or KK.

Hand 2- I think you are way to aggressive here, I would never make it $4 preflop for a pair of fours, most people like to play small pair by limping in and hoping to hit trips on the flop. Again on the flop you go all in, at the most I would have matched my preflop bet, that would be enough to make them fold if they are going to. Make notes on the guy that called a $4 preflop bet with 23 suited, that was a terrible call and you can take him down next time.

Good Luck

SirArthur
03-20-2004, 05:30 AM
Hand one: With three still to act following you, I believe a $5 raise is too strong p/f for JJ. My standard at .50 BB is $3-4 (for jacks) depending on the nature of the table, and my position etc. My worst fear is what happened to you, running up against a monster and having to lay down your strong hand losing your p/f bet.

Good fold though (unless you are against a true maniac), you are most certainly up against QQ, KK, or AA.

Getting reads on opponents is crucial in NL. I watch the table for a few revolutions before I jump in, taking notes on as many players as I can.

Hand 2: A $4 p/f raise with 4's, is way, way to much. If I saw you do this, I would immediately take a note on this act on your part and maybe think you were maniacal with your betting.
You have two limpers in front, just call and hope to see a flop cheaply. If you don't hit your set get out to any betting, unless you flop an OESD like you did. I seldom, raise a low PP, unless on the button, or on a blind steal attempt.
All in after the flop, hmmmn. Obviously an ultra aggressive move, if not a down right attempt to buy the pot right there. I would never play it like that.
I would make a small bet here, and see where I stand. If re-raised get out, I wouldn't want to lose my entire stack on what is essentially an OESD.

bugstud
03-20-2004, 06:07 AM
I personally played JJ on party NL tables like 77 and the like, for set value. If the game was shorthanded then I switched it up.

jdl22
03-20-2004, 07:05 AM
Welcome to the forum. Did you use Bison's converter? Seems a little strange in hand 1.

Hand 1 the betting is confused as mentioned. I think we're missing the flop. Those three cards are pretty important actually /images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll assume the flop came JJ2 and ask you what the hell you were doing folding quad jacks. Sure he could be drawing to a runner runner straight flush but this isn't the time to worry about that.

The second hand is a beginners mistake that everyone has made, especially me. Wait a second I just realized something. Stalk the BB because he is absolutely terrible. He called 3.50 of a $4 raise with 23s wow. Back to our story, raising to $4 with fours while it may be visibly appealing shouldn't be done (I also reccomend against raising to $9 with nines). Pocket fours is strictly a drawing hand. You want to get in as cheaply as possible. With a small pocket pair you are only playing it to hit a set on the flop. If you flop a four then jam away, you almost certainly have the best hand (assuming the flop isn't three suited or something like that). In a three way pot the odds are just too good that you won't have the best hand after the flop to make the raise worthwhile.

Your bet on the flop was way too big. It's not bad to bet here to try to take down the pot, but you have bet so large that you will only get called if you're beaten. It's not as bad as it could be given that you have outs but still you don't want to be in that situation. If you were playing me I would think you had a big pocket pair (because of your big raise preflop) and hence would only call if I had that beat (either flopped a straight, two pair or a set).

obex
03-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Thanks very much for the advice. JDL - very perceptive, the convertor skipped the flop on Hand 1. The flop came Qxx, and my opponent check-raised, and I folded. I don't know why the convertor failed here - I copied it from my tracker history, not directly from the emailed hand history. Does that matter? I'll edit the original post.

I really appreciate the advice. I was playing way aggressive on the pairs trying to get heads up preflop, and then an overly aggressive semibluff against two players on the flop. Sounds like I should play them more like I would at a limit table.

Thanks to everyone for the help.